Connect service to only one interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClackPony

Dabbler
Hello! First post
Freenas 9.2.1.9 is my version of Freenas.

In our installation, we have multiple network utilities that can backup their configuration trough ftp.Yes, I know, not ideal, but we can't change it, and need those backups. We store the backups in my test lab, on our freenas. It has to go trough a pfsense firewall, that we recently updated. However, since the update, it doesn't work anymore. The problem is that ftp proxy is no longer in pfsense. So now, our equipement won't send his backups to the freenas. So now what do I do? Well, the simplest thing to do would be to put an ftp server on the same subnet as the network equipement. It is possible to do so with another freenas that has two network interfaces. The issue here is that we don't want to make everything on that freenas accessible on the equipment's network, but still be able to use it as an ftp server. So, here's my question (finally):

Is it possible, in Freenas or in the freebsd config files, to make specific services listen to specific interfaces, or ip address, and not others? Meaning that we could access the ftp server, but not the nfs shares, nor the web interface, the windows share, etc. I know that in 9.3 we can specify it in the web interface, but it is not possible to update for us. I search high and low, but can't seem to find where to configure this. I don't think it's inetd and I don't understand IPFW. Can you help?

Also, please forgive any grammatical error, as I'm more francophone than anglophone. Please also consider that I'm still an intern student, eager to learn, but still learning.
Thank you in advance!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
All of the services allow you to specify what IP ranges are allowed to access them, and several of them allow you to specifically bind the service to a service address as well. Walk through the configuration for each service you need to offer and check out the appropriate options.

ClackPony

Dabbler
All of the services allow you to specify what IP ranges are allowed to access them, and several of them allow you to specifically bind the service to a service address as well. Walk through the configuration for each service you need to offer and check out the appropriate options.
Great! Can you tell me how? I've seen that there's a field for it in the web interface in 9.3, but I don't see any in 9.2. Can I specify it in the auxilary parameters, or in the freebsd files?

ClackPony

Dabbler
I found that in 9.2, you can bind addresses, but not on ftp. CIFS and NFS can be binded so those are safe. However, I found a way to solve my ftp problem. By telling my freenas ftp service to use a masquerade address on the production network, the switchs and gateways believe that the freenas is on their network, thus they send the files. Everything works now. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.