Configuring FreeNAS Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgjsmith

Cadet
Hi, I am a complete newcomer to FreeNAS and have embarked on setting up a simple installation in order to learn about FreeNAS before I commit any serious money to some new and more suitable hardware. I am using a redundant PC and have installed the system on a 4G usb drive. I have three drives installed:

1 - 160G IDE Primary Master
2 - 200G IDE Primary Slave
3 - 200G SATA

When I view disks, FreeNAS shows the following:

ada0 - 164.2 available
ada1 - 131.0 available
da0 - 1.6G

The motherboard is an old ASUS A7N8X, and I can see that the required link is in place to enable SATA . I can also see the drive appear in Channel 1 when the machine boots.

My question - Is the da0 drive the USB stick, and why isn't the SATA drive showing up?
I appreciate this is probably a less than optimal (understatement?) system to use but, as a I said, this is just to give me some practice in setting up the system. Regards, Martin

cyberjock

Inactive Account
da0 is most likely your USB stick. Your SATA drive probably is on a SATA controller that isn't compatible with FreeNAS. Intel boards usually use Intel chipsets which are pretty standard and well supported. AMD on the other hand has tons of different brands of SATA controllers, so you are on your own to ensure compatibility.

Adding the driver is far from trivial. Considering the simplicity of your question I think its fair to say that trying to add the driver and recompile FreeNAS is far above your expertise. So you are pretty much looking at hardware that isn't a good choice for FreeNAS.

mgjsmith

Cadet
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll stick with the two drive setup and learn a little about FreeNAS that way. Regards, Martin

Yatti420

Wizard
You may want to look at Nas4Free if you plan on re-using old hardware..

Status
Not open for further replies.