Configure Apps to use the same Gmail OAuth as Notifications

ninjaxor

Cadet
Hi,
Setting up Gmail OAuth for Notifications was awesome. Well done!
Is it possible to configure apps that need to send email so that they can use it as well?
Host
Port
User
Pass

Thanks

unseen

Contributor
It's simpler to configure an e-mail forwarder on another machine (or container) in your network and then you only have one place to change things should you need to update the account user or password. Then just point all things that need to send e-mail to the forwarder.
That's how I handle it on my network at least.

ninjaxor

Cadet
Thanks @unseen, I was considering that as well. Looking at doing a mail cow server like in this how to video https://youtu.be/_z6do5BSJmg
From what I've read, it's very difficult to setup mail cow on TrueNAS Scale, unless doing it in a VM? So I'd probably go the way you suggest of having it on another machine.
Really appreciate your response.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Isn't there a postfix or similar app on either official or truecharts?

unseen

Contributor
Thanks @unseen, I was considering that as well. Looking at doing a mail cow server like in this how to video https://youtu.be/_z6do5BSJmg
From what I've read, it's very difficult to setup mail cow on TrueNAS Scale, unless doing it in a VM? So I'd probably go the way you suggest of having it on another machine.
Really appreciate your response.

As it takes almost zero resources to use, all I did was to configure the postfix daemon running on the Linux box that hosts my Home Assistant as my forwarder. That way, it's on a machine which is always up and running and it takes very little effort to configure postfix to work as a forwarder.

I had a look at the video you linked and this would appear to be overkill for most use cases. The vast majority of ISPs block port 25, making it impossible to run a full blown mail server at home, and this is true for my ISP as well. The forwarder is only for outgoing mail. For incoming mail, I still use my ISP's mail server. Thankfully, I have a trustworthy ISP, so I have no problem with using their mail system for incoming mail and my forwarder also uses my ISP to actually send mail from my network. Essentially, the forwarder is just an aggregation point for outgoing mail from my network.

Last edited: