Completely new to freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, everyone, I am completely new to FreeNAS and can't wait to learn what I can about it. At the moment I'm researching about a FreeNAS/Plex media server build for me and my family so that is my main motive to getting into building a server.

AngryHat

Dabbler
Hey, Welcome Sir!! Looks like we are in the same boat. I am new as well, im just trying to figure it all out as well.

Hey, Welcome Sir!! Looks like we are in the same boat. I am new as well, I'm just trying to figure it all out as well.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. but ya I have watched a bunch of youtube video's and also have been asking questions on Reddit trying to get a build put together and I have somewhat of one that I think will fit for what I need.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Welcome aboard. I would suggest checking out the hardware recommendations in the resources section at the top of the page. Some of the youtube videos out there are of dubious quality.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Welcome aboard. I would suggest checking out the hardware recommendations in the resources section at the top of the page. Some of the youtube videos out there are of dubious quality.
Thanks for the welcome and ya already starting to read the quick hardware guide right now.

Unless those videos have been produced in the last 36months, they should be ignored!

Corrected that for you Jailer ;)
duly noted

danb35

Hall of Famer
Repeating what's already been said, but to clarify a bit--at one time, FreeNAS was positioned as a way to turn any cheap piece of castoff hardware into a NAS. To the extent that was ever the case, it no longer is. Its hardware requirements aren't onerous, but it does demand server-grade hardware for stability and data integrity. This doesn't need to be expensive--you can buy a suitable, albeit low-end, server pre-built for $200. Add some RAM and your disks, and you're ready to go.

Repeating what's already been said, but to clarify a bit--at one time, FreeNAS was positioned as a way to turn any cheap piece of castoff hardware into a NAS. To the extent that was ever the case, it no longer is. Its hardware requirements aren't onerous, but it does demand server-grade hardware for stability and data integrity. This doesn't need to be expensive--you can buy a suitable, albeit low-end, server pre-built for $200. Add some RAM and your disks, and you're ready to go.
Ya I was looking at the pre-built servers but the one I really want to use the fractal design node 804, I made sure to refer to the the parts guide on here for the power supply (seasonic prime 650w titanium),motherboard (ASRock - E3C236D2I), and cpu (Xeon E3-1245 V5 3.5GHz) I'm gonna get 6tb western digital red but I heard that they have a higher risk for something happening to them so might go up to 8tb. The only thing I'm questioning is the ram I know I need ecc ddr4 2133 32gb but I'm wondering what's the most reliable brand.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only thing I'm questioning is the ram I know I need ecc ddr4 2133 32gb but I'm wondering what's the most reliable brand.
Crucial/Micron, Samsung, Hynix, heck, Kingston is probably fine. Give your memory a good burn-in and the odds are very good that you'll be fine for years to come. Reliability isn't really a common issue for RAM.

As to the rest, it looks sensible enough (though the integrated GPU of that CPU will be wasted on FreeNAS). My point was not to say that you should buy the ML10, but to show that "server-grade hardware" need not be expensive. But if you need the eight bays of that 804, then the ML10 won't do what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.