Cobia: What happened to ntp?

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
I just upgrade a Mini-R test system from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 to 23.10 Cobia. It seems to have gone reasonably well, but I noticed that ntp seems to have disappeared: the ntp package is no longer installed, there are no ntpd or ntpq binaries in the $PATH, and the /etc/ntp.conf file is gone. The general systems setting for "NTP Servers" is still there, but it seems to have nowhere to go.

Is that a bug, or has Cobia switched to a super-secret time management approach I can't see?

Cheers
-- perry

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I just upgrade a Mini-R test system from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 to 23.10 Cobia. It seems to have gone reasonably well, but I noticed that ntp seems to have disappeared: the ntp package is no longer installed, there are no ntpd or ntpq binaries in the $PATH, and the /etc/ntp.conf file is gone. The general systems setting for "NTP Servers" is still there, but it seems to have nowhere to go.

Is that a bug, or has Cobia switched to a super-secret time management approach I can't see?

Cheers
-- perry

chronyd

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Perry The Cynic

Dabbler
Ah, thanks. An entry in the release notes might have been nice. :smile:

Is there any way to remote-monitor chronyd with ntpq? Or is there any (widely available) tooling that can monitor both ntpd- and chronyd-based systems?

Cheers
-- perry

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ah, thanks. An entry in the release notes might have been nice. :smile:

Is there any way to remote-monitor chronyd with ntpq? Or is there any (widely available) tooling that can monitor both ntpd- and chronyd-based systems?

Cheers
-- perry
If you're concerned with specifically TrueNAS SCALE servers, we have a private API endpoint system.ntpserver.peers that we use for internal purposes for alerting on clock slew (this was added primarily for alerting on slew between cluster nodes). You can query it via shell middleware client midclt call system.ntpserver.peers. Since it has JSON output you can use jq to parse.

Last edited:

jose2azulos

Cadet
If you're concerned with specifically TrueNAS SCALE servers, we have a private API endpoint system.ntpserver.peers that we use for internal purposes for alerting on clock slew (this was added primarily for alerting on slew between cluster nodes). You can query it via shell middleware client midclt call system.ntpserver.peers. Since it has JSON output you can use jq to parse.
That `midclt` call works on both Bluefin and Cobia, right?