CIFS/Active Directory Service Start Command line

Status
Not open for further replies.

power270

Cadet
Looking for command lines to start the service automatically with a startup script.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only recommended way is via API. Trying to script your own stuff to start and stop services is dangerous and not supported at all. The code can change at any time, and you may create major problems if you aren't monitoring for changes in the code before installing them.

I'd also think that if you had the kind of experience to read the code, you probably wouldn't be asking. ;)

power270

Cadet
I haven't had much time to review the code. My issue is when freenas rebooted or hard powered off, AD and CIFS don't start automatically. I have to manually go turn them on through the API.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will tell you that a properly setup system should automatically start and run properly. So something is "unique" about your setup. I don't know what it would be, but you might want to look in your logs and see if the server is trying and failing or what. I know AD and CIFS are tightly integrated, so if AD is failing to start it probably is preventing CIFS for starting as well.

If you can't figure it out you might want to throw a debug file up here and see if someone else can figure it out. ;)

I will tell you that more often than not, when I've had to troubleshoot AD issues, it's more often than not either a misconfiguration by the admin on the FreeNAS/AD settings or the actual domain itself is not healthy and has major problems. I've had quite a few users that practically took offense to me even investigating his AD settings, and I've had users that were humbled to find that their domain was not as in tip-top shape as they thought.

power270

Cadet
I took your advice, blew away freenas, reconfigured the settings, joined back to the domain, reshared my files and now its reconnecting to AD at startup. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.