Checking VPN script

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been working on a script to check whether my VPN working (The VPN is only running in one Jail).

What the script does right now is get the public IP of my server (boxIP) and the public IP of the jail running the VPN(jailIP). It then checks to make sure that the Jail's IP is a valid one. If it isn't it will first try to restart the VPN, and then if it still does not work it will shutdown the jail using the API.
Then it will compare the boxIP to the jailIP to make sure they are not the same. If they are it will restart the VPN, then if its still the same, shutdown the jail.

The script will also send me an email if the jail is shutdown like this I know i have to go fix it.

So my issue is that sometimes the public IP of the jail does not work and ends up shutting down the jail even if it is working.

Here is my script, if you guys want to use it for your box feel free. And if you have any feed back feel free to improve it. (I'm not the best in scripting but got it to work, somewhat)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#Bash script to check the external IP of a jail running a torrent cient
#If the jail's ip (jailIP) is invalid or is the same as the main server's IP (boxIP)
#    the script will first restart the VPN service and if this does not fix the issue, 
#    it will shutdown the jail safely (Using the json API) and send an email to the 
#    provided email containing the last 30 lines of the log file created by this script
log=/var/log/Torrent_script.log
echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Getting JailIP" >> $log
jailIP=$(jexec -n Torrent curl ipecho.net/plain)
echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Getting boxIP" >> $log
boxIP=$(curl ipecho.net/plain)

#check if jail IP is a valid IP
if [[ $jailIP =~ ^[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}$ ]]; then
    #valid IP
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Jail has valid external address $jailIP" >> $log
else
    #invalid IP restart vpn and email
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] ERROR(VPN Failed):  Jail IP: $jailIP" >> $log
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Restarting VPN" >> $log
    jexec -n Torrent service openvpn restart >> $log
    sleep 10
    #update jailIP var
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Refreshing Jail IP" >> $log
    $jailIP=$(jexec -n Torrent curl ipecho.net/plain; echo)
    #still fail to get IP, shutdown jail and email
    if [[ $jailIP =~ ^[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}$ ]]; then
        #valid IP
        echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Jail has valid external address $jailIP" >> $log
    else
        #writing to log and stopping jail
        echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] ERROR(VPN Failed to restart):  Jail IP: $jailIP" >> $log
        echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Stopping jail" >> $log
        curl -v -u root:<passwd> -X POST http://localhost/api/v1.0/jails/jails/2/stop/ --header "Content-Type:application/json" >> $log
        tail -n 30 $log | mail -s "VPN Failed to Restart - Stopping Jail" <email>@gmail.com
    fi
fi

#compare to boxIP same = email both ips and the restart output
if [ "$jailIP" == "$boxIP" ]; then
    #restart VPN and email
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] ERROR(sameIP): Local IP: $boxIP - Jail IP: $jailIP" >> $log
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Restarting VPN" >> $log
    jexec -n Torrent service openvpn restart >> $log
    sleep 10
    #update jailIP var
    echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Refreshing Jail IP" >> $log
    $jailIP=$(jexec -n Torrent curl ipecho.net/plain; echo)
    #still the same kill jail and email
    if [ "$jailIP" == "$boxIP" ]; then
        echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] ERROR(Restarted VPN - Failed to Get new IP): Local IP: $boxIP - Jail IP: $jailIP" >> $log
        echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: Stopping jail" >> $log
        curl -v -u root:<passwd> -X POST http://localhost/api/v1.0/jails/jails/2/stop/ --header "Content-Type:application/json" >> $log
        tail -n 30 $log | mail -s "jailIP=boxIP - Stopping Jail" <email>@gmail.com
        else
            echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: jailIP ($jailIP) not equal to boxIP ($boxIP)" >> $log
    fi
    else 
        echo "[$(date +"%Y.%m.%d %H:%M:%S")] INFO: jailIP ($jailIP) not equal to boxIP ($boxIP)" >> $log
fi

exit 0

Status
Not open for further replies.