Case replacement

spyder

Dabbler
Hi folks,

Like a dummy, I mounted a dozen hard drives into those 6-in-1 cages that fit in the 5 1/4 inch drive bays and surprise they are overheating (spinners).

I bought a new awesomely cooled case and want to rehome the guts to it.

Question: will it matter what SATA port everybody gets plugged into? My thought is that it shouldn't matter because Freenas is managing the array?

Thanks as always!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeBSD doesn't really care what you plug in where as long as it's compatible (electrically, mostly). If you have a hardware RAID controller and you've done bad things with configurations, that's the only likely case I can think of where you can get hosed.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
By the way, the dummy continues to run the bad hardware setup and doesn't notice the overheating.

Smarter people learn from their mistakes.

Enjoy your new chassis.

spyder

Dabbler
Thanks - It does have an SAS RAID card, which I let Freenas set up without messing with it. Appreciate the help greatly :)

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi folks,

Like a dummy, I mounted a dozen hard drives into those 6-in-1 cages that fit in the 5 1/4 inch drive bays and surprise they are overheating (spinners).

I bought a new awesomely cooled case and want to rehome the guts to it.

Question: will it matter what SATA port everybody gets plugged into? My thought is that it shouldn't matter because Freenas is managing the array?

Thanks as always!

No. ZFS doesn't care. BSD doesn't care what order they go into.