can't write to main directory in my SMB share...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
I'm doing advanced things that i read in other topics
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-disk-sorry-but-i-can't-get-it-to-work.57516/

i'm good with computers but not with linux :)

P2L7Iut.jpg

thats how the jail is set right now ... before source was set to "Media"

In your case, I'm 99% sure this is a simple permission issue, but we first need to figure out what permissions we need to change so we can correct the issue. The fact that your experiment came to the same conclusion makes me pretty confident here. So you know what our steps are: 1. figure out what dataset you are connecting to Transmission and what the mountpoint within the Transmission jail are, 2. determine the transmission user UID, 3. make sure the transmission user (with the same UID) is created in FreeNAS, 4. make the dataset used within Transmission owned by that UID. It's also probably a good idea to create a temporary folder for in-progress downloads, and have Transmission move the downloaded files only when completed.
thats basicaly what i've done ...
but it still doesn't solve the problem that i can't access my windows share from every computer unless i login as root

ChaosUK

Dabbler
let me explain that as best and simple as i can ...
that "Media" share i have was accessible before for every pc in my network .... i would go to Network click freenas and i would see the contents ...
88b9jMB.jpg

at some point without me doing anything i realized i can't write to root folder of the share (i think it happened after i updated freenas from 9 to 11) ... i could write to other folders already in there so i didn't bother....
then at some point i realized i can't write to any of the folders... :/
then i started this topic and started messing with the settings (what i've done i described in first post) ... and that probably broke transmission...

what i also discovered that only my main pc asks me for a password when i click on freenas icon in network (others maybe have "remember password" ticked when i first logged in but as far as i remember there was never a need to log in or anything)
if i put my root password (that one i use to log in to freenas GUI) i can access the share with no problems ... i can do every thing.. create, delete, modify

i want the share to be accessible without those issues like it was before ....

Nick2253

Wizard
Ok, one problem at a time. First, let's get Transmission working, then we can deal with the SMB access issue.

Let's go back to the way it should be. Change the source back to /mnt/Media. Are the permissions for the Media dataset the same as this post? I'm going to assume that they are.

Look at the permissions: you can see that only the owner and the group have write permissions. If you want Transmission to have access either "other" needs write access, or the transmission user needs to be the owner or in the group.

Now, we need to create the transmission user. You can also create the transmission group, but it's not really necessary. Did you create the transmission user in FreeNAS per this post? Assuming yes, then change the owner for the "Media" dataset to this "transmission" user.

At this point, transmission should be able to write to the (from it's perspective within the jail) the /media folder. Please let me know if this works, or if any of the above assumptions don't hold true, and you don't know how to make them work.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
yes that worked ... but that' basically the same thing i did to that other dataset...
wont that affect my other plugins? like plex?

how do we fix that windows share so anyone can access it

Nick2253

Wizard
yes that worked ... but that' basically the same thing i did to that other dataset...
won't that affect my other plugins? like plex?
It depends on what permissions your other plugins need. For example, Plex only needs read access to files.

how do we fix that windows share so anyone can access it
What is your goal? Do you want all users to be able to read and write on the share? Do you only want certain people to log in, and all of those people have full access? Do you want all users to be able to have read-only access, but only certain logged in users have write access?

ChaosUK

Dabbler
to be fair i want to know what happened .... before every pc on my network could access that share with full rights ... I want to be able to find out what changed the permissions and how to set them back the way they were

Nick2253

Wizard
I feel like we've been talking over each other this entire thread. You say "every PC on your network". Now, you've given no indication previously that you cannot access a share from one computer or another. That is a completely different problem then user permissions, which is what we have been troubleshooting. At this point, I don't even understand what your problem is, so there's no way I can even remotely begin to comment on what happened.

I cannot read your mind, so I have no way of knowing what you're looking for. I suggest that you restate your problem. Let us know exactly what you're doing, what was working, what isn't working, etc. Assume I have no understanding of your problem, because I don't.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
i don't want to be rude because I know you are trying to help .. but did you read post nr #22?
I assume you did... because you replied "Ok, one problem at a time. First, let's get Transmission working, then we can deal with the SMB access issue."
I understand that you are probably trying to help others with problem similar to mine but i described my problem as best as I can in post 22 ..
I don't know how I can make it any clearer

@Nick2253 I believe @ChaosUK wants to have (and previously had) guest access so you do not have to log in to modify files.

@ChaosUK Is transmission reading and writing correctly?

Nick2253

Wizard
@Nick2253 I believe @ChaosUK wants to have (and previously had) guest access so you do not have to log in to modify files.

@ChaosUK is this correct?

i don't want to be rude because I know you are trying to help .. but did you read post nr #22?
Post #22 doesn't describe anything clearly. Breaking it down line-by-line:

that "Media" share i have was accessible before for every pc in my network .... i would go to Network click freenas and i would see the contents ...
All this tells me is that each machine in your network is able to reach the FreeNAS server. I have no knowledge about the user permissions you are using. You don't say anything about anonymous access or logged in access. You don't say anything about read only access or read-write access.
at some point without me doing anything i realized i can't write to root folder of the share (i think it happened after i updated freenas from 9 to 11) ... i could write to other folders already in there so i didn't bother....then at some point i realized i can't write to any of the folders... :/
At this point, I understand that at least one of your user profiles should have read and write access, and that the write access has disappeared for that/those user(s).
what i also discovered that only my main pc asks me for a password when i click on freenas icon in network (others maybe have "remember password" ticked when i first logged in but as far as i remember there was never a need to log in or anything)
Now, you are implying that you are logging in. I know you say that you don't remember if there was a need to log in, but the fact that you even bring this up makes me think that there's something to it. So it's prudent that we address this. Which is why I asked these simple follow-up questions:

What is your goal? Do you want all users to be able to read and write on the share? Do you only want certain people to log in, and all of those people have full access? Do you want all users to be able to have read-only access, but only certain logged in users have write access?

In response, you completely shift the question to "figure out what happened", and introduce even more confusing information with the machine access issue. At this point, I really don't know if your issue is network access issues, permissions issues, or a combination thereof. Based on the information presented, and the general kinds of problems we see on this forum, I would assume about 75% likelihood that @cobrakiller58's summary is correct. However, you know what they say: when I assume, I make an a** out of you and me. Which is why I'm trying to drive to a specific, clear description of the problem, so we're actually fixing the correct problem.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
i don't know if its guest access or something else .. i would like to be able to access my share without password with full access to it

i said many times before that I never created any users... it was working fine ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.