SOLVED Can't unlock encrypted drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDDT

Cadet
Hi, I installed FreeNAS last weekend to migrate off of a Linux NAS that I've been using for a few years.

The idea was to copy the data from my Linux RAID array to an external USB drive connected to FreeNAS, then move the drives from the Linux RAID array to FreeNAS, create a ZFS array on them, and copy the data from the USB drive back to the same drives now in a ZFS array.

I created an encrypted ZFS volume on the USB drive, created a passphrase, added recovery key, downloaded key (stored both on my desktop) and all was good. Copied the data from my Linux RAID array to the FreeNAS USB drive over the next couple of days, and everything was working great. Moved the four drives from the Linux box to FreeNAS, created an encrypted ZFS volume on the four drives, created a passphrase, added recovery key, downloaded key (stored both on my desktop). Everything was still working great at that point. Both volumes were mounted, I copied about 500GB (of 3.5TB) from the USB drive to the array last night as a test, and all was still good. After that I shutdown the FreeNAS box to move it from my desk to it's normal place in my home theater room. FreeNAS booted up fine of course, but now I can't unlock my USB drive. I can unlock my array, but most of my data is still on my USB drive.

I'm guessing something happened to the encryption for the USB drive when I created the encrypted volume on the 4 drives. I still have the recovery and download keys for both. Is there anyway to unlock my USB drive?

This is the error I get when I try to unlock the USB drive:

Error: Volume could not be imported: 1 devices failed to decrypt

FreeNAS-9.2.1.8-RELEASE-x64 (e625626)

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

rs225

Guru
Has anything changed with the USB drive configuration? Is it a retail product?

LDDT

Cadet
The USB drive is a 4TB WD My Book. I bought it last weekend just for this migration. The only thing that changed between being able to unlock the USB drive encrypted ZFS volume yesterday and not being able to unlock it yesterday is creating the encrypted ZFS volume on the four drives that I moved from my Linux box to my FreeNAS box. I shut down FreeNAS yesterday to install the four drives, then after booting back up I unlocked the USB drive then added the encrypted ZFS volume for the four drives. At that point both the USB and 4-drive volumes were unlocked and mounted. I copied some data from the USB volume to the 4-drive volume to make sure everything was working, then shut down FreeNAS and moved it to another room. That was the first time the USB volume had been unlocked since I created the 4-drive volume. When I booted it back up, the USB volume would not unlock but the new 4-drive volume would unlock.

I assumed that the passphrases and keys were unique to each volume, but it seems that maybe they are related and when I created the encrypted volume for the 4-drives, that changed something about the key for the USB volume? I'm new to ZFS so I'm not sure.

This is a new FreeNAS install on new hardware. The only things that aren't new are the 4 drives from my Linux box. They were bought about six months ago. After installing FreeNAS I enabled SSH but all other config is still default. First thing I did was connect the USB drive and created the encrypted ZFS volume on it. Then I rsync'd the data over the network from the 4 drives in my Linux box to the USB volume. I rebooted a few times and locked/unlocked the USB volume several times to make sure there were no issues. After that I moved the 4 drives from my Linux box to FreeNAS.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure but if you can't decrypt your original pool with your recovery key or key+passphrase, your options are pretty limited.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but we've seen totally unexplainable things happen on USB drives, which is why we don't recommend them for even temporary storage.

LDDT

Cadet
Got my USB volume back! Here's what I did to fix it - Detached both ZFS volumes, shutdown FreeNAS, disconnected the USB drive and the four main drives, booted FreeNAS, connected the USB drive, did an Auto Import choosing the encrypted option, gave it the path to the downloaded key that I had backed up, hit OK and a few seconds later my USB volume was back. Unlocked and mounted like nothing had ever happened. FreeNAS is awesome!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would put a bug ticket in and explain what went wrong and how you fixed it. This screams of a software bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.