Can't Remove L2ARC cache drive

nafeasonto

Dabbler
When I go to remove my pointless SSD cache drive from the pool. TrueNAS 12 Core crashes. I have to do a force restart, comes back up and I am back to square one. Is there something special I need to do, to get this drive out of the pool?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How are you attempting the removal?

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Details of your pool, please.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
What do you specifically want to know?

Usually that would mean that you would describe the composition of your pool and how your vdevs were laid out, and if you wanted to be extra awesome, describe how it's attached too. This isn't so much information that you need to pick and choose:

"I've got 12 WDC WD140EDFZ in an 11-wide RAIDZ3 vdev with a warm spare, no SLOG, no L2ARC, connected via an SAS expander backplane and an IBM ServeRAID M1015 HBA running IT 20.00.07.00 firmware".

Samuel Tai

zpool status -v <name of your pool>

Also, per Forum Rules, please provide details of your hardware.

nafeasonto

Dabbler
Usually that would mean that you would describe the composition of your pool and how your vdevs were laid out, and if you wanted to be extra awesome, describe how it's attached too. This isn't so much information that you need to pick and choose:

"I've got 12 WDC WD140EDFZ in an 11-wide RAIDZ3 vdev with a warm spare, no SLOG, no L2ARC, connected via an SAS expander backplane and an IBM ServeRAID M1015 HBA running IT 20.00.07.00 firmware".

Sure.

I have 12 - 4TB HP 7.2k Drives. In a RAIDZ2. One SLOG which is a Intel Optane. I am using two 9220 LSI raid cards in IT Mode. Running the latest Firmware, and I honestly do not remember the firmware version. No spare. 64GB of ECC DDR4 Ram.

It's a custom built "ISCSI" machine, running off of 2x 10Gbps in round robin to an ESXI machine.

The L2ARC i added was a test, and when I went to remove it, the above in my first post is what happens.

Samuel Tai

Still not enough detail. What's the L2ARC? Are you partitioning your Optane to serve as both the SLOG and L2ARC?

nafeasonto

Dabbler
Still not enough detail. What's the L2ARC? Are you partitioning your Optane to serve as both the SLOG and L2ARC?
Can I do that? No I have an SSD as the L2ARC, and SLOG is the Optane. I want to remove the L2ARC which is the SSD.

Samuel Tai

Try zpool remove <name of pool> <gptid/uuid of your L2ARC>.

nafeasonto

Dabbler
Try zpool remove <name of pool> <gptid/uuid of your L2ARC>.

I think it would be safer at this point, to shutdown anything using the storage, take it offline, export it, remove the drive, re-import. Because honestly at this point I don't want to get a corrupted pool.