Cant Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade19941

Cadet
20180405_002644 (1).jpg
Hi all

Just a quick introduction, my name is Daniel, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa and I'm currently struggling to install my first NAS.

So I burned FreeNAS ISO to a cd, booted from it and before the installer even opens I get an error "Fatal Trap 1 : privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode"

I've pulled ram, moved ram around, pulled out HDD's, changed things up, plugged in a different flash drive. I have no idea what else to do.

Running :
8GB DDR2
4 x 2TB Hitachi Enterprise EMC drives
Intel DQ35JOE 775 socket
2.33ghz core 2 duo

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

m0nkey_

MVP
FreeNAS is not suitable for older hardware, so your results may vary. Suggest you take a look at NAS4Free.

Your motherboard alone is 11 years old.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You've tried to boot with no hard drives? Try it with no hard drives at all.

Fatal Trap 1 can be unpleasant to track down.

Blade19941

Cadet
Ok I got it working. The CPU I was using doesnt seem to like FreeNAS very much. Fitted a Q6600 and its running perfectly.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
What CPU were you using? Shouldn't have made a difference if the CPU was compatible with that board.
Unless the CPU was 32 bit only.

Blade19941

Cadet
What CPU were you using? Shouldn't have made a difference if the CPU was compatible with that board.
Unless the CPU was 32 bit only.

Core2Duo E6550

From what I can tell its a 64bit, FreeBSD didnt seem to like it though.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I think the likely culprit here is the motherboard firmware/BIOS/whatever, perhaps updating it would have helped. I've done some research on this, and that seems to the most likely culprit. But we're talking 10 year old hardware here, far from my speciality.

Status
Not open for further replies.