can't install freenas to custom computer :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpy

Explorer
Hey I've really hit a roadblock. I'm trying to install FreeNAS to my custom server, but when I put the cd in it won't work. It runs fine on my laptop but not the server.

I've also tried installing Ubuntu 12, Ubuntu Server, Windows 7, OpenIndiana (it actually worked...once) and none of them will respond the way they're supposed to.

Windows 7 says the OS is missing a file and that I need to install (when all I'm doing is booting the dvd), Ubuntu won't do anything but blink "_"
OpenIndiana freezes at the load screen
Ubuntu 12 says: "error: failure reading sector 0x5b500 from 'cd0'"
FreeNAS tries bootloader but then just stays there

I could really use some help, this is my first build and I'm out of external and laptop drive space :\

If you need I can post my hardware stats. Appreciate it

ramius

Dabbler
As you are describing you issues it seems to me that you have a memory problem. When you try to intall Windows XP on computer and it randomly fails to copy som file, it often is a faulty memory module.

jumpy

Explorer
How do I figure out which stick is bad? I have 4x 8gb sticks. Also I've noticed that the dvd drive has been shutting off after it begins to read

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's how I narrow down bad RAM.

Run MEMTEST on the system with the RAM left installed. If it passes 3 full passes, then the RAM isn't the problem.

If the RAM is the problem, start testing the RAM 1 stick at a time. Let each stick go through 3 passes each until you find the bad RAM stick.

If they all pass individually, but you have failures when the RAM is fully installed, then more creative thinking is in order. :) We'll worry about that if you end up in that situation.

ramius

Dabbler
It's simple, there are 2 options
Try puttin in 1 by 1 or take out 1 by 1, until it works correctly. Apply it to pairs if you system only takes dual channel, but also mixing the pairs.

The problem you mention with the dvd drive can also be revealing that the PSU is failing.
Maybe if you post the full specs of your system, someone can say something more concrete.

jumpy

Explorer
ok i finally figured out how to get myh usb working.

the error i'm recieving is "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!" when i just copy/paste the files from the ISO file.

when using LinuxLive USB Creator it says...various stuff about GRUB, including... "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ESC at any time exits."

no idea what this all means. tried various commands. will try a different approach

jumpy

Explorer
No I figured it out on my own. I'm using my laptops dvd drive to install it to a thumb drive. I did read that link but found a dvd much easier. Almost done installing...I always tell myself ill go to bed early and never do..lol

JaimieV

Guru
Nope. There should only be a few seconds before you can see it doing things on the screen.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I highly recommend you read the manual. It would have saved you from this headache, and probably others that you will encounter in the near future as you setup your server. It really is well written and totally worth the time. My guide(link in the sig) is also a good read ;)

jumpy

Explorer
ill check out the guide and manual. my main headache was my lack of hardware/bios knowledge.

my current issue is changing to a static ipv4 as per instructions on youtube....the ip i pick randomly won't update, so i use the one shown in the video, and then i try to access it from my browser and it won't load. maybe if i change the settings via the web ui instead of the server itself it may work the way i please?

JaimieV

Guru
The IP you set has to be one appropriate to the network it is on - you can't just use one from a guide or make it up.

Look up the IP on your home computer (windows: open a cmd prompt and type 'ipconfig' hit enter; anything else 'ifconfig' and hit enter), and change the last number to something else under 254. Alternatively, find and read a primer on IP addressing on the Internet, look up your current netmask and DHCP range (it'll be set by your router) and choose an educatedly safe address for FreeNAS.

Also, *really* read the manual. From your posts, you don't have the background geek knowledge you'd need to have to be able to muddle through.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
jumpy,

Based on your knowledge, FreeNAS may not be a good choice for you. Videos won't teach you everything you need to know. You really do have to have an understanding of what you are doing.

For example, if I make a 5 minute video of me driving down the road and I drive at 45 mph for 5 solid minutes without stopping or slowing down, that doesn't mean you know how to drive and can get in your vehicle and start driving 45 mph. You need to understand WHY I was able to drive for those 5 minutes without having to stop, why I drove 45 mph and not 25 or 65, and what all of those signs mean. Just because I didn't hit a pedestrian crossing in my town, no red light or stop light, and speed limit signs that said 45, doesn't mean you can just copy me exactly and be okay.

I think you should rethink if FreeNAS is for you. Your problems are very elementary in comparison to most people here and I fear you're ultimately going to spend alot of time pulling your hair out when stuff doesn't work. You will also be very upset when you unknowingly lose all of your data because you did something that erased your data without you realizing the consequences.

jumpy

Explorer
Well its too late. I've already got the ball rolling. I'm gunna read the manual and some guides and do my best.

jumpy

Explorer
okay. everything works fine :D. took some messing with but i got it figured out. now i'm trying to install SABnzbd and the like. while trying to access the server through SSH i got this error...not sure what the problem is...

Code:
[root@freenas] ~# ssh -l root 192.168.1.69
Could not create directory '/root/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.69 (192.168.1.69)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 20:37:7d:a4:15:7c:be:d7:2f:6b:2b:1e:a9:59:cd:66.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/root/.ssh/known_hosts).

JaimieV

Guru
The cause is that the directory /root/ is read-only. ("Could not create"). Nothing unexpected or to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.