Can't delete file/folder via Mac Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeoHat

Explorer
I was copying some images files to my NAS from an external USB Drive, via a copy and paste from a Finder window on my Mac. When the process took too long, I tried to stop it, but it just hung. Eventually I had to force close my Finder window. But the file I started to create on the NAS is still there, and I can't delete it.
I keep getting the msg "the operation can't be completed because the item "Database" is in use".

I access the folder in the NAS, and it is partially grayed out in the finder window. So when I right-click on the folder icon, and show package contents, a "Database" folder is shown. This folder contains one file, named "BigBlobs.apdb". When I remove the file to the trash, it is instantly replaced by a new file of the same name.

Can anybody help me out of this mess?:(

I've had the Finder in my Mac hang once in a long while. Once it does that, one of the following has always fixed it. The following suggestions are in order of severity. Try them one at a time until the problem is resolved:
  1. In the Apple menu, select "Force Quit ...". Select "Finder", and press the "Force Quit" button.
  2. In the Apple menu, select "Log Out". Log back in.
  3. Restart the Mac.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Kevin, thanks for the reply. I tried each one of your suggested steps, but no luck. I've attached a screen shot showing the result. It's the two grayed-out folders that I'm trying to delete. I also tried deleting these folders through my MacBook Pro laptop (as well as my Mac desktop), but with the same results. So it isn't a problem with the Mac's, as far as I can tell.

Are there any command line instructions I can use in the NAS shell to get these folders deleted?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 10.21.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 10.21.51 AM.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 765
Last edited:
Is iPhoto, Photos, or Aperture running? If so, quit it and try again. If that doesn't work, you may have to resort to deleting it from the command line, using the Terminal program. Google will find many tutorials on how to do that, if you haven't done that sort of surgery before.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Kevin, thanks for the reply. I tried each one of your suggested steps, but no luck. I've attached a screen shot showing the result. It's the two grayed-out folders that I'm trying to delete. I also tried deleting these folders through my MacBook Pro laptop (as well as my Mac desktop), but with the same results. So it isn't a problem with the Mac's, as far as I can tell.

Are there any command line instructions I can use in the NAS shell to get these folders deleted?
I'd start by using "smbstatus" from the command line on your FreeNAS. This will let you know whether you have an active session that has locked the file (and which computer / user has the lock). If you do and it's your mac computer, you should try to figure out why your Mac has it open.

BeeoHat

Explorer
Thanks, anodos. I ran the smbstatus command, and it seems like I have two files locked. Both appear to be Read Only. I've attached a screenshot showing the results. The machine involved is my Mac desktop. I don't know why they have these locks in place, but what I'm after is how exactly to delete them.

As I mentioned in my original post, I was copying files from an external hard drive to my NAS, using the Mac Finder. When the file transfer got bogged down, I tried to stop the transfer, but the operation hung. I eventually had to force quit the Finder. Somehow, these two files are now in limbo.

I've tried looking in the Activity Monitor, but I can't find any processes that I recognize.

Do you have any suggestions for command line instructions, either thru the FreeNAS command line, or the Mac Terminal, to achieve deletion of these files?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 11.51.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 11.51.48 AM.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
As mentioned in the previous messages, first try killing the app the has the file open (probably iphoto) or re-configuring the app so that it points to the correct iphoto library. Failing that, you can manually delete the file / directory from the command line on the FreeNAS server using the "rm" command, but I don't recommend that if it can be avoided.

BeeoHat

Explorer
As I'd mentioned, I didn't have any other applications open (iPhoto, etc.). I finally had to resort to deleting the files directly from the command line on the FreeNAS server. It worked out fine.

Thanks for the help.:)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This shouldn't be happening. Do these things:

1. Upgrade to the latest 9.3 build (Feb 2016). If you are on 9.10 don't downgrade.
2. Enable the "Autotune" (System -> Advanced).
3. Reboot so the autotuner settings will take affect.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This shouldn't be happening. Do these things:

1. Upgrade to the latest 9.3 build (Feb 2016). If you are on 9.10 don't downgrade.
2. Enable the "Autotune" (System -> Advanced).
3. Reboot so the autotuner settings will take affect.

Autotune now fixes CIFS problems? Cool! :D

Seriously though, why are we using autotune in this situation? Just so that someone doesn't randomly come across this thread and thing "what I'm experiencing looks vaguely like this so Ima gonna autotune all the things".

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. I was apparently smoking crack or something. That was meant for another thread. Not sure where that thread went. But yes, autotune isn't appropriate for this. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.