Can't build any ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

fracai

Guru
I installed 9.1.1 tonight, created a jail and installed the ports tree. I can't compile anything though. Well, I can, but it requires tedious steps; something seems to be broken.

Basically, if I 'cd' to a port and issue 'make install clean', it dies stating that the work directory doesn't exist. If I run 'make extract' first, the work directory is created and I can then also run 'make', then 'make install', and 'make clean'. Everything I read indicates I should be able to just run a single 'make install clean'. If I just run 'make extract' and then 'make install' I also see errors.

Code:
root@jail:/usr/ports/editors/nano # make clean
===>  Cleaning for nano-2.2.6
root@jail:/usr/ports/editors/nano # make install clean
cd: /usr/ports/editors/nano/work/nano-2.2.6: No such file or directory
*** [do-install] Error code 2
===>  Cleaning for nano-2.2.6
1 error

Code:
root@jail:/usr/ports/editors/nano # make extract
===>  License GPLv3 accepted by the user
===>   nano-2.2.6 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by nano-2.2.6 for building
===>  Extracting for nano-2.2.6
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for nano-2.2.6.tar.gz.

root@jail:/usr/ports/editors/nano # make install
make: cannot open Makefile.
*** [do-install] Error code 2
install: /usr/ports/editors/nano/work/.license-catalog.mk: No such file or directory
*** [install-license] Error code 71
2 errors

Any ideas?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd love to give you the solution after all the help you've provided others, but I got nothing. :(

Whattteva

Wizard
Tried "portsnap fetch extract update"?

fracai

Guru
OK, I don't know what exactly was causing the problem, but I've got things working now. I saw a post on StackOverflow where the config phase wasn't running. In my case it's as if extract wasn't running. The question referenced running "make -V BATCH" and returning blank indicating that the variable wasn't set. So I started looking at variables. Running 'env' and my environment was crazy dirty. I exited the jail, ran 'su -l' to get a fresh root shell and got back into the jail. Now everything is working great.

Lesson learned, your environment will follow you from a regular login, through 'su', and through 'jexec'. That's quite unexpected, but at least now I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.