can't access FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Morris

Dabbler
Hi ive setup a freenas server and had it up and running fine, but ive had to reset my windows 10 pc and now i cant access it at all. it shows up in my network but i cant map the drive im not sure whats happening here
any help please

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Details make a difference.
What exactly did you do to the Windows PC?
Did anything change on the FreeNAS?
Are you still able to access the FreeNAS web GUI?
What have you tried with regard to access to the storage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Darren Morris

Dabbler
Hi i just reinstalled windows
yes i can access the web GUI
I have tried to map the drive from my pc in windows
ive followed a few tutorials on changing some windows components from add and remove windows components
and started a fresh install of freenas
also im quite new to this so not that technical but able to follow a tutorial

Redcoat

MVP
It sounds like you might be suffering from the effects of the removal of smb1 from Windows 10 if what you did was just install the most up to date version of W10 (Version 1803) and are using FreeNAS 11.1-U6.

If you search here you will find multiple threads on the topic of smb1 removal - but start by looking at "Known Impacts" on this link https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/library/freenas-11-1-u6/

Darren Morris

Dabbler
thanks but ive done all that for the last two days and im still no further forward just pulling my hair out now

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Have you tried going to the share by using the IP address? There are some stange circumstances with Windows that will sometimes not allow you to browse a network properly. It will find other Windows systems and not show any Non Windows systems. I have had to fight the issue several times.

Darren Morris

Dabbler
what i tried was map network drive and put the ip of the freenas in the box and still no go it says network path not recognised

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You said that you have reinstalled FreeNAS. Did you configure the network sharing on FreeNAS from scratch or did you import the config DB from before?
I still think it is a Windows configuration problem. Do you have a different Windows computer to test with?

Please verify what version of FreeNAS we are discussing and, while you are at it, please give all the standard information that is called for by the forum rules:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Darren Morris

Dabbler
ok wasn't aware of those rules as its my first day on here
but i think this is what you mean
i have reinstalled freenas and before i did that i zero all the disks
to configure i followed a tutorial on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWBdvlhq94
and then reinstalled windows 10
and the latest version of freenas
my hardware on the freenas box is
gigabyte Ga-z77x-udh board
intel core i3 processor
8 gig of ram Kingston
hard drives are
3 x seagate barracuda 2tb
all purchased from ebuyer
this system used to run fine and now it doesn't and im stuck as of what to do next
im willing to start over if you think maybe ive configured my Nas incorrectly just point me to a video tutorial and i will follow that anything to get up and running again
hope this is what info i need to give you if not please ask for more
once again thanks for all your help
Darren

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
to configure i followed a tutorial on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWBdvlhq94
Sometimes the videos are not as good. You might want to take a look at this guide:

Uncle Fester's Basic FreeNAS Configuration Guide
https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro
and the latest version of freenas
It is probably best to give a version number, because there are multiple ways to look at, 'the latest', because there is a version 11.2-BETA2 also available at the same time the download link at the top of the forum is pointing to 11.1-U6 as being the latest.
I would actually suggest that you step back a version to 11.1-U5 to do your installation.
Here is a link: https://download.freenas.org/11/11.1-U5/x64/
The U5 revision still supported SMB1, just in case that is part of the problem here.
If you have correctly configured sharing on the FreeNAS install, using 11.1-U5, Windows should see it in the network explorer. If Windows can't see the FreeNAS share, you probably have a Windows problem. I have spent days trying to find and fix that problem in Windows before and ultimately had to do a clean install of Windows to fix it. Windows can get broken internally in such a way that even with all the network properties set the correct way, it still won't work to see anything on the network that is not also a Windows system.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Darren Morris

Dabbler
ive just noticed i have ada0 ada2 ada3 the primary gpt table is corrupt or invalid using secondary instead recovery is strongly advised could this be my issue and not sure how to fix this

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I've just noticed i have ada0 ada2 ada3 the primary gpt table is corrupt or invalid using secondary instead recovery is strongly advised could this be my issue and not sure how to fix this
That usually happens when disks are reused in FreeNAS without being fully cleared of the old data. It needs to be corrected, but it should not be the cause of this trouble. At this point, if you have followed the configuration guide, I would say the most likely culprit is Windows 10.

Darren Morris

Dabbler
yes ive followed the configuration guide to the letter just dont know what to do now ive exhausted all paths completly confused

Darren Morris

Dabbler
well thanks for everyone's help on this but i now give up. Freenas now wont even let me create a volume it just keeps giving me errors.
it was great while it was working but just to complicated when it goes wrong the thing is ive done nothing different to what i did before. i know the disks are ok i have tested them its just freenas that used to think they were ok now does not. i cant even wipe them but i can in windows i just dont get it

Status
Not open for further replies.