Cannot set creator/owner on cifs share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idiotzoo

Explorer
Before I raise this as a bug, worth checking if anyone else has tried this and sees the same behaviour.

Server is 9.2.1.6 I've got a cifs share, which I'm accessing from windows 8.1 clients. When attempting to set permissions all is just fine, apart from trying to set a creator/owner permission. As soon as I do, it disappears again. It's as if Freenas doesn't understand creator/owner

cyberjock

Inactive Account
CIFS works properly, if you know how to use it. The easiest way to get access to stuff that is broken is to go into the CIFS share and check the box that says something like "set reasonable permissions".

Idiotzoo

Explorer
Ok maybe cifs works but acls on cifs with active directory don't quite work.

Specifically the creator/owner permission doesn't work, though most everything else does.

My acls are not broken, the creator owner permission is either removed or ignored.

There also seems to be a problem with the way freenas is handling inheritance but I'm less certain about that.

The creator/owner issue is clear and repeatable on multiple installations. Whether this matters depends on how you use freenas. If you want to share some files with ad permissions then it's probably fine. If you want to use freenas in place of a windows server for storing roaming profiles, for example, then it's very hard to make it all work, especially as you cannot follow best practice as given by Microsoft and the samba documentation. :(

yois

Dabbler
Has this been resolved yet? We're up to 9.3.1 and I see no reassurance that this will be addressed!

brando56894

Wizard
Yes it has been resolved, it just takes some tweaking in Samba, which is really the issue, enable debug logging (log level = 2) in smb.conf and see what the specific errors were. Also please don't dig up a thread from 1.5 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.