Cannot see data after ZFS Send command

Lwb1977

Dabbler
Admittedly, I am not super knowledgeable when it comes to using zfs send commands, but here goes. I am running Freenas 11.3-U5 on my 8 bay nas. I recently installed 4 4tb drives and am trying to move an old pool over to it. The old pool is on 4 2tb drives installed in the same system. So far, the steps I have taken are as follows:

Manual snapshot with recursive of old pool (LCBenson2) and was successful
Set up new pool (LCBenson3)
ran zfs send/receive command like this

zfs send -R LCBenson2@manual-12-25_26 | pv | zfs receive -F LCBenson3/LCBenson3

*pv switch was used so it would output the progress so I could monitor
**I had to create a dataset in the new pool or the command failed, thus the additional LCBenson3, which is the dataset name**

After 5.5 hours, everything had been sent and was successful. However, the new pool shows 6tb of data usage, but no data can be seen. I have checked to make sure the new pool and dataset are not set to readonly. Zpool status shows online, no errors. Zpool list is:

NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CKPOINT EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
LCBenson3 14.5T 6.86T 7.64T - - 1% 47% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

I created a windows share to the new pool and it is also empty. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. It appears the data is there somewhere, I just cannot get to it. Connecting via WinSCP also shows no data or folders in the new pool, aside from an empty windows share created in the LCBenson3 dataset. All the old data is still fine and accessible on the old LCBenson2 pool.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
**I had to create a dataset in the new pool or the command failed, thus the additional LCBenson3, which is the dataset name**
No, you didn't need to do that. I just did this with one of my pools yesterday.

These are the commands I used:

To take the snapshot:
zfs snapshot -r Emily@manual-12DEC2020

To send the snapshot to the other pool:
zfs send -R Emily@manual-12DEC2020 | zfs receive -F Irene

I even scrolled back into my history and pulled this from the last time I used it:
Code:
   229  23:42   zfs snapshot -r Emily@manual-5Aug2018
   230  23:43   zfs send -R Emily@manual-5Aug2018 | zfs receive -F Irene
   231  22:01   zfs send -R Emily@manual-5Aug2018 | zfs receive -F Backup

When the process runs correctly, you get an exact clone of what ever was in one pool, datasets and all, in the other pool.
You even get any old snapshots copied over.

After 5.5 hours, everything had been sent and was successful. However, the new pool shows 6tb of data usage, but no data can be seen. I have checked to make sure the new pool and dataset are not set to readonly. Zpool status shows online, no errors. Zpool list is:

I would destroy the new pool, since you can't find the data, and try again. Something didn't go right.

Lwb1977

Dabbler
No, you didn't need to do that. I just did this with one of my pools yesterday.

These are the commands I used:

To take the snapshot:
zfs snapshot -r Emily@manual-12DEC2020

To send the snapshot to the other pool:
zfs send -R Emily@manual-12DEC2020 | zfs receive -F Irene

I even scrolled back into my history and pulled this from the last time I used it:
Code:
   229  23:42   zfs snapshot -r Emily@manual-5Aug2018
   230  23:43   zfs send -R Emily@manual-5Aug2018 | zfs receive -F Irene
   231  22:01   zfs send -R Emily@manual-5Aug2018 | zfs receive -F Backup

When the process runs correctly, you get an exact clone of what ever was in one pool, datasets and all, in the other pool.
You even get any old snapshots copied over.

I would destroy the new pool, since you can't find the data, and try again. Something didn't go right.

Hmmm.....it definitely would not run unless I created a dataset in the new pool. It errored out immediately. I don't remember the exact error, sorry, but it had something to do with it not liking the destination. But it's fine, at this point, I'd rather destroy and try again anyway as I don't feel comfortable with the state of things at all. I will take a new snapshot and try again and let you know how things go. Thanks for the response.

Lwb1977

Dabbler
Well, any idea how long it should take to destroy a pool that had 6tb of data on it? It's been hung on "60.00% Destroying pool" for over an hour now. the system is also too busy to display any reporting info such as CPU usage or Pool status. Existing shares on the old (still functional) pool are also not responding. So, the system is definitely busy, but I'm just curious how long a pool destroy should take as I've never actually destroyed one before.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
any idea how long it should take to destroy a pool that had 6tb of data on it?
I destroyed mine (from the GUI) with 15TB of data in it in under 20 minutes. The time it takes to complete depends on the computer doing the work, the number of drives and the amount of data being destroyed. It doesn't format the drives but it does go delete a bunch of metadata and then delete the partitions.
I had a pool in one of the systems at work with 64 drives (over 200TB of data) and I got tired of waiting after about half an hour. I came back a couple hours later and it was done, but I don't have any idea how long it took.

Lwb1977

Dabbler
I destroyed mine (from the GUI) with 15TB of data in it in under 20 minutes. The time it takes to complete depends on the computer doing the work, the number of drives and the amount of data being destroyed. It doesn't format the drives but it does go delete a bunch of metadata and then delete the partitions.
I had a pool in one of the systems at work with 64 drives (over 200TB of data) and I got tired of waiting after about half an hour. I came back a couple hours later and it was done, but I don't have any idea how long it took.

Okay, it finished and the system is responding normally. Took about 2.5 hours. Time to start the rebuild process again. I'll report back in tomorrow with the results. I appreciate the responses :smile: