Cannot mount one dataset to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndruXO

Dabbler
I don't know where the leading /mnt comes from (my guess is the main pool is mounted at /mnt), and I really don't care what happens down the road, but if you change your mountpoint (remove the /mnt from your command), it looks like it will work.
Yeeeah, thank you for your lab!
As you can see you tried to
Code:
zfs set mountpoint=/mnt/TestSource/A/moved TestDestination/movethis

but you get
Code:
TestDestination/movethis                                       96K  2.56G    96K  /mnt/mnt/TestSource/A/moved

so you get not that you wanted, real mountpoint is wrong!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Yeah, I was showing that I can replicate your problem, but then look at the next command I ran and the resulting mountpoint. I think that is the solution to your problem.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
[root@testnas1] ~# zfs set mountpoint=/TestSource/A/moved TestDestination/movethis
[root@testnas1] ~# zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
TestDestination/movethis 96K 2.56G 96K /mnt/TestSource/A/moved

AndruXO

Dabbler
Wow, I didn't catch it from your first listing, sorry.
Great, I will try that trick! But what it means, what is the logic of the system here?

AndruXO

Dabbler
depasseg, you are real FreeNAS Guru!
I managed to attach pool2 dataset to the pool1 following your recomendations and my problem is solved now! Thank you very much!
Now I can completely move to the FreeNAS, hehe ))

P.S. Though the issue is solved still I wolder why FreeNAS sends datasets to /mnt/mnt/ instead /mnt?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It doesn't send them to /mnt/mnt. It defaults your dataset to /mnt and you were telling it to mount /mnt/mnt

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I guess it's to avoid mistakes like mounting your pool to /bin or /etc for example...

@gpsguy is right, you didn't use partitions and you didn't use the GPTIDs, be warned that you can have big problems (including losing the pool?) because of that.

jde

Explorer
Does this survive a reboot?

AndruXO

Dabbler
It doesn't send them to /mnt/mnt. It defaults your dataset to /mnt and you were telling it to mount /mnt/mnt
Actually my command was to /mnt/vol1/...
I expect system to do what I want or give me an error. Nothing else. But it does something its own way...

you didn't use partitions and you didn't use the GPTIDs, be warned that you can have big problems (including losing the pool?) because of that.
GPTIDs are created at the moment I create pools. And I create them via GUI, it is correct here. Only mountpoints were done via CLI.
Could you please give me some links where I can read about big problems without GPTIDs? Just to know.

Does this survive a reboot?
Yes, it survives, no problem, I checked it as soon as I was satisfied with mountpoints. And GUI shows and acts absolutely correctly.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Actually my command was to /mnt/vol1/...
I expect system to do what I want or give me an error. Nothing else. But it does something its own way...

I know what your command was. You've stated it several times. What you seem to NOT understand is that you are technically doing something that isn't officially supported by freenas.

You gave it a command.

The system automatically puts your datasets and pool mounts in /mnt

Therefore, LOGICAL thought should tell you that if you leave off the /mnt it will add it on its own.

This has been a very amusing thread. You can't seem to grasp what people are saying.

AndruXO

Dabbler
Man, you didn't have that logic until depasseg found a solution. Now it seems obvious for you but you never tried to understand the thing that I'm telling through all the thread:
the behaviour of FreeNAS is not like clean FreeBSD of Nas4Free, it differs.
I'm glad we've found a solution but solution, still differs from all ZFS systems that I tried before! That's the point!
There is no "automatic" there and they do exactly what I ask them from CLI. THAT it logical.

And finally it is sad to see people here, who just say "you don't need it" or "it is not designed to do", "don't do... don't ask".
Thank you for your time, though.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
the behaviour of FreeNAS is not like clean FreeBSD of Nas4Free, it differs.

Yes, because FreeNAS is not FreeBSD or NAS4Free :)

And finally it is sad to see people here, who just say "you don't need it" or "it is not designed to do", "don't do... don't ask".

We say that because when you'll have a problem like losing some data and then ask for help, you'll likely not be able to recover the data and receive no or little help because you do unsupported things.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I didn't "have that logic" because I don't care if it can do what you want. It's not supposed to do that, so I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.