Cannot install plexpy - keep on getting "git: Command not found"

Status
Not open for further replies.

traderjay

Explorer
But now i am stuck again -
Code:
root@plexpy:/ # tar xzf master.tar.gz                                                                                              
root@plexpy:/ #                                                                                                                    
root@plexpy:/ # mv master.tar.gz /usr/local/share/                                                                                 
root@plexpy:/ # master.tar.gz                                                                                                      
master.tar.gz: Command not found.                                                                                                  
root@plexpy:/ # rm master.tar.gz                                                                                                   
rm: master.tar.gz: No such file or directory                                                                                       

By the way, what could be the reason that Git is not working when following the original install instructions posted here - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-plexpy-in-a-freenas-9-3-jail.38589/

What is Git? A package installer?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What is Git? A package installer?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+git

It is a decentralized version control system. Git has the ability to download/clone repositories of scripts/code from public sources. It is not a package installer.

Based on what I am seeing here, you aren't even downloading the file. You might want to step back and figure out what these commands are that you are tossing into your system....

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks again - looks like we are getting somehwere

Code:
root@plexpy:/ # fetch - no-verify-peer "https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy/archive/master.tar.gz"                            
fetch: -: No such file or directory                                                                                              
fetch: no-verify-peer: No such file or directory                                                                                 
master.tar.gz                                 100% of 4742 kB 4303 kBps 00m01s                                                   

I'mk not sure what you are doing or asking. You just need to pass the parameters to fetch properly. you still need to use the two dashes "--" but just retype them incase the ones you are pasting in there aren't being understood.

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?fetch(1)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So this thread is driving me crazy because you can't figure it out so I did it for you and copied the exact output.
Code:
root@plexpy:/ # fetch https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy/archive/master.zip
fetch: https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy/archive/master.zip: size of remote file is not known master.zip 5325 kB 4298 kBps 00m01s
root@plexpy:/ # mv master.zip /usr/local/share/
root@plexpy:/ # cd /usr/local/share/
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share # tar xzf master.zip
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share # cd plexpy-master/
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share/plexpy-master # ls
.gitignore CHANGELOG.md LICENSE README.md data lib pylintrc
API.md CONTRIBUTING.md PlexPy.py contrib init-scripts plexpy

Git clone method, git is in your jail by default I didn't add it.
Code:
root@plexpy:~ # git clone https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy.git
Cloning into 'plexpy'...
remote: Counting objects: 6060, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (24/24), done.
remote: Total 6060 (delta 9), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 6032
Receiving objects: 100% (6060/6060), 7.41 MiB | 5.31 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (3135/3135), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
root@plexpy:~ # ls
.cshrc .k5login .login .profile plexpy
root@plexpy:~ # cd plexpy/
root@plexpy:~/plexpy # ls
.git API.md CONTRIBUTING.md PlexPy.py contrib init-scripts plexpy

after you get that finished you need to install some extra packages that the program needs.
Code:
pkg install python2 databases/py-sqlite3 security/py-openssl security/ca_root_nss

next you need to modify the HTTP_HOST, use a text editor to open plexpy-master/plexpy/config.py and modify the HTTP_HOST, mine looks like this.
Code:
'HTTP_HOST': (str, 'General', '192.168.190.3'),

then start the script
Code:
python PlexPy.py

finally you can access the webui using the ip of your jail and port 8181.

Last edited:

traderjay

Explorer
So this thread is driving me crazy because you can't figure it out so I did it for you and copied the exact output.
Code:
root@plexpy:/ # fetch https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy/archive/master.zip
fetch: https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy/archive/master.zip: size of remote file is not known master.zip 5325 kB 4298 kBps 00m01s
root@plexpy:/ # mv master.zip /usr/local/share/
root@plexpy:/ # cd /usr/local/share/
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share # tar xzf master.zip
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share # cd plexpy-master/
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share/plexpy-master # ls
API.md CONTRIBUTING.md PlexPy.py contrib init-scripts plexpy

after you get that finished you need to install some extra packages that the program needs.
Code:
pkg install python2 databases/py-sqlite3 security/py-openssl security/ca_root_nss

next you need to modify the HTTP_HOST, use a text editor to open plexpy-master/plexpy/config.py and modify the HTTP_HOST, mine looks like this.
Code:
'HTTP_HOST': (str, 'General', '192.168.190.3'),

then start the script
Code:
python PlexPy.py

finally you can access the webui using the ip of your jail and port 8181.

Hello SweetAndLow - thank you for such a detailed response! No other open-source NAS distros would've provided newbies like me with so much detailed help! I was able to complete the first steps and ran into the following issues:

Code:
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share/plexpy-master # pkg install python2 databases/py-sqlite3 security/py-openssl security/ca_root_nss    
Updating repository catalogue                                                                                                     
python2-2_2 already installed                                                                                                     
ca_root_nss-3.16 already installed                                                                                                
The following 7 packages will be installed:                                                                                       

Installing sqlite3: 3.8.4.3                                                                                               
        Installing py27-six: 1.5.2                                                                                                
        Installing py27-pycparser: 2.10                                                                                           
        Installing py27-sqlite3: 2.7.6_3                                                                                          
        Installing py27-cffi: 0.8.2                                                                                               
        Installing py27-cryptography: 0.2.2_1                                                                                     
        Installing py27-openssl: 0.14                                                                                             

The installation will require 6 MB more space                                                                                     

1 MB to be downloaded                                                                                                             

Proceed with installing packages [y/N]: y                                                                                         
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/All/sqlite3-3.8.4.3.txz: Not Found        

Code:
root@plexpy:/usr/local/share/plexpy-master # python PlexPy.py                                                                     
python: Command not found.                      

Lastly, I am running plexpy in a jail and it is already assigned an IP from the DHCP server. Do I still need to modify the HTTP_HOST?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Does your jail have internet access?

It's telling you that it can't find a file located at that address.

I'm confused why you continue to input commands even after the previous one failed...

traderjay

Explorer
My jail do have internet access and I can ping IP externally. I can also download other repositories as well...

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's something pretty seriously wrong with your jail template, I think. The reason it can't download sqlite3, for example, would appear to be that it's going for an old version--the current version is 3.9.2, while you're trying to download 3.8.4.3. Running 'pkg update' should have updated all the repository information in your jail, but you say you've run that already, and it obviously didn't. Further, git should be installed in the jail by default, as @SweetAndLow mentioned above.

Try this:
  • Create a completely new jail. Call it something like "test", and don't even look at the advanced options.
  • From the FreeNAS CLI, do 'jls'.
  • Find the JID of your new jail, and do 'jexec <JID> tcsh'
  • From inside the jail, run 'git'. It should return something very much like this:
Code:
root@test:/ # git
usage: git [--version] [--help] [-C <path>] [-c name=value]
           [--exec-path[=<path>]] [--html-path] [--man-path] [--info-path]
           [-p|--paginate|--no-pager] [--no-replace-objects] [--bare]
           [--git-dir=<path>] [--work-tree=<path>] [--namespace=<name>]
           <command> [<args>]

The most commonly used git commands are:
   add        Add file contents to the index
   bisect     Find by binary search the change that introduced a bug
   branch     List, create, or delete branches
   checkout   Checkout a branch or paths to the working tree
   clone      Clone a repository into a new directory
   commit     Record changes to the repository
   diff       Show changes between commits, commit and working tree, etc
   fetch      Download objects and refs from another repository
   grep       Print lines matching a pattern
   init       Create an empty Git repository or reinitialize an existing one
   log        Show commit logs
   merge      Join two or more development histories together
   mv         Move or rename a file, a directory, or a symlink
   pull       Fetch from and integrate with another repository or a local branch
   push       Update remote refs along with associated objects
   rebase     Forward-port local commits to the updated upstream head
   reset      Reset current HEAD to the specified state
   rm         Remove files from the working tree and from the index
   show       Show various types of objects
   status     Show the working tree status
   tag        Create, list, delete or verify a tag object signed with GPG

'git help -a' and 'git help -g' list available subcommands and some
concept guides. See 'git help <command>' or 'git help <concept>'
to read about a specific subcommand or concept.

If it doesn't, go back to the FreeNAS web GUI, to the Jails screen, Configuration page, click the Advanced Mode button, and copy and paste what's in the "Collection URL" box.

traderjay

Explorer
Danb35 - I am using virtualbox 4.3.12 as the jail template. Could this be the cause of all the problems?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, it almost certainly is. You should only use that template for a VirtualBox jail. For any other purpose, just leave the jail type set as -------.

traderjay

Explorer
The thing is, if i just do the following Jails -> Add Jails (without specifying a template in the advanced mode) I then get the following: Unable to find template!

traderjay

Explorer
Changed - Should I first Add a Jail Template first before creating a jail?

Name: Plexpy
Architecture:x64
URL: ???
Mtree:??
Read Only: Leave unchecked

traderjay

Explorer
But I keep getting this:

Add Jail -> Jail Name: TEST -> OK

then the following error: Unable to find Template.

traderjay

Explorer
I've done additional research on the issue "Unable to find Template." It seems it could be that my configuration is messed up which requires a reinstall or some other issue. The weird thing is I do have an active jail running called Plex and its template is pluginjail... For example in this thread - https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/creat-a-jail-is-impossible.17307/

Rand mentioned:
"
Make sure that the configured jail root directory is a properly mounted an accessible file system with enough space.
If the download of the template file fails you always get "Template not found" instead of a more reasonable message "Could not write to xyz"

In my case I already have a volume called /mnt/NAS/jails with ample amount of space..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.