Can I use my existing vhdx files in Truenas VM's

EnigmaNas

Dabbler
Hello,

I would like to move a virtual machine or 2 that I now have running under Windows Hyper-V, to Truenas Virtual Machines.
Can I create a VM in Truenas and then simply attach the existing vhdx drives? Do they need to be converted into another format?
Do they need to be placed in a certain location?
Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to convert them to raw format. qemu-img convert is one of the available tools that does that. Then you need to create a zvol of sufficient size and dd the raw image to the zvol.

EnigmaNas

Dabbler
Thank you Patrick, that will be very helpful, but since I am an obvious newbie, can I ask you for a little clarification?
In particular, the 2 commands you mentioned, I assume are ran from the shell. I can do that, but I am not well versed on navigating that interface. If it is inconvenient for you to provide step by step instructions, then is there some precise documentation I could follow to accomplish this task?
Thank you again for your assistance.

EnigmaNas

Dabbler
Can you provide an example set of CLI commands that I would use to convert the files? That way I would see the proper syntax and usage of the commands. My apologies if I am asking for too much, but I have tried to update my knowledge of Shell by reading all the documentation, but it honestly does not tell me much. I do know how to use it though, but I'm not familiar with most of the available commands.
Thank you again for any assistance you can provide.