Can I run TrueNAS on SSD's mounted on USB adapters

zogthegreat

Cadet
Hi everyone!

So I'm playing around with a HP T620 thin client, and I had a thought. The box has two internal USB ports and what I want to do is run TrueNAS off of two 16gb M.2 drives mounted on NGFF/M.2 to USB adapters like this:

USB 3.0 to Nvme M.2

My question is will this cause problems like a regular USB drive or will the drives be OK from the read/writes that TrueNAS does? It's my understanding that the main reason that USB drives fail is due to the cheap controllers that USB drives have. Since I'm running a regular M.2 SATA drive, I thinking that this problem won't come up. However, since I haven't found anyone else posting about doing this, I thought I would ask before breaking out my Dremel and soldering iron to squeeze in the two 2.5 1TB drives I'm planning to use for data. I will be using a modified mPCI-E adapter like this:

Mini PCI-E Express to SATA 3.0

I will be soldering the SATA cables directly onto the adapter after cutting them to the length I need. I will be getting power from some unused connectors on the motherboard.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

zog

sretalla