Can I mount an NTFS drive with data on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csh8428

Dabbler
I just assembled by NASbox and was looking to start putting the drives in.
I have some drives with data already on them. They are NTFS drives

Can I just add them or do they formatted have to be/will they be formatted automatically by FreeNAS?

I'm a noob... if that wasn't obvious enough based on the forum I'm posting in.

Thanks,

Craig

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, FreeNAS will not add your NTFS drives. Your best course of action, assuming you've already got a copy of all the data, is to run DBAN on them, then figure out what configuration you want them in under FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It wasn't obvious you were a noob from the forum you posted in but the post itself. No worries, you'll still get help.

Your best bet is to build the zpool and then copy the contents over. This obviously isn't optimal for you since I'm betting the drives with the data are also the drives you want in the zpool. Maybe you can borrow a few hard drives from some friends. NTFS is supported in FreeNAS, but it is only intended to allow you to copy data. NTFS is pretty unreliable in FreeBSD so you definitely shouldn't use it as the permanent file system. But from your post I don't think you were going to do that anyway.

csh8428

Dabbler
It wasn't obvious you were a noob from the forum you posted in but the post itself. No worries, you'll still get help.

Your best bet is to build the zpool and then copy the contents over. This obviously isn't optimal for you since I'm betting the drives with the data are also the drives you want in the zpool. Maybe you can borrow a few hard drives from some friends. NTFS is supported in FreeNAS, but it is only intended to allow you to copy data. NTFS is pretty unreliable in FreeBSD so you definitely shouldn't use it as the permanent file system. But from your post I don't think you were going to do that anyway.

I have a few spare drives. This was the plan I was going with. I was just trying to figure out if I could mount all the drives the NAS and copy stuff or if I would have to copy the data from my USB mounted drives through my laptop to the NAS. I guess I will go with option 2.

Thanks,

Craig

Yell

Explorer
mount them in freenas and copy stuff:

Code:
mkdir /mnt/mynfsdrive
ntfs-3g /dev/da1s1 /mnt/mynfsdrive

(replace /dev/da1s1 with your ntfs drive's partition)

urcaGun

Dabbler
How to temporary change locale ? i need Cp2151 to view and copy my files from NTFS disk to NAS....

Status
Not open for further replies.