SOLVED Building new FreeNAS box and can't get pools to clone over network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr1malr8ge

Dabbler
Let me first set up some info to help understand what I am trying to do.

I have a working FreeNAS system that I hobbled together few years ago. It has 5 1tb drives that are 75% full.
In my decision to upgrade I decided it would be wiser to build a new machine. I purchased a used sm826 with an x9dri-lnf4 with a lsi9201-8i [don't quote me on that] and 9 used HGST 7400k Ultrastar 3tb drives, I plan on using 6 drives to start in raidz2.
I went through and have burned in the new system. [2 of the drives are going to be RMAd for being bad] I'm currently planning on running 6 of those 3tb drives raidz2.
So as it stands the new system is up with its own basic config and set IP but not a clone of the current working machine. I have the 6 drives in and created my pool. I named that pool the same as the pool on the working machine. I set up replication on the working machine to replicate to the new machine. How ever I got this error message "Jan. 31, 2018, 8:45 p.m. - Replication dataset1 -> 192.168.254.201:dataset1 failed: Please move system dataset of remote side to another pool" So I tested if I created a sub data set if that would work and it did.
The issue is it's not a true clone.
Here is what the pool looks like on the working machine
unknown.png

This is what the replicated set on the new machine looks like, keep in mine the transfer isn't done so a few things are not present yet..
unknown.png

Please help me.. I do not want to physically have to move the drives out of the old machine into the new machine. Blowing the new machines pool away and starting over is ok. I'm not exactly in a rush.

I want to note, that I just need right now to clone the old machines zfs to the new. once that happens I will shut down the old machine and upload its config to the new machine and it should then be as if the old machine just rebooted.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You could just move the data around on the system now that it's all there.

or

You replicate each dataset under the root dataset. Basically that error you got was because you tried to replicate the entire root dataset and the .system-dataset causes issues. So just don't do the replication from the root, do it for each dataset under root. In your case that would be aeronas, iocage, jails and media.

pr1malr8ge

Dabbler
Thank you for your response.. I have a question. is not moving over the primary .system-dataset going have issues when I upload the old system config? What I'm getting at will my plugins, shares work right as if I turned the old machine off physically moved the drives to the new machine and turned it back on? if it's not an issue. How do I move aeronas,iocage,jails. & media off xfer and directly to dataset1.

The reasoning I'm not wanting to physically move the drives in the old machine is that I want to preserve it.. Even though I "burned" in the new system I want to have it in production for 3-6months before I say it's stable enough to then dismantle | repurpose the old NAS box. Which I will probably then move the 5 drives to the new machine and add one of the three remaining 3tb drives extend the pool so all 12 bays are populated then slowly replace the 1 TBs with 3 tb or bigger drives.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The system dataset doesn't really matter. If you can get all the parts for your shares and jails to match up it should all just work. You are pushing things a little bit so anything can happen but it should work if you upload your config.

pr1malr8ge

Dabbler
The system dataset doesn't really matter. If you can get all the parts for your shares and jails to match up it should all just work. You are pushing things a little bit so anything can happen but it should work if you upload your config.

Cool.. Currently aeronas/media are still transferring.. how ever I was able to use zfs rename dataset1/xfer/iocage dataset1/iocage and zfs rename dataset1/xfer/jails dataset1/jails to move their hierarchy..

I noticed that aeronas will need to share changed is from unix to windows, and I'm assuming media also. Since those are both my windows shares.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Zfs send/recv should have kept those settings? Does it not match the source?

pr1malr8ge

Dabbler
Well it turns out that perms are not altered till the last after data has been transfered.

pr1malr8ge

Dabbler
Sweet N Low thanks for the information. Just transferred config shut down old nas and new machine just came online and it's working just like the old one..

Status
Not open for further replies.