BTSync plugin update needed, stuck with 1.3.80 which has the 20k open files bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zensig

Dabbler
I just installed my FreeNAS 9.2.1.3 NAS. I installed the BitTorrent Sync plugin from Plugins. It was at version 1.3.80 at the time (for a while there was a new version every day). Soon plugins listed it as 1.3.87, now it's at 1.3.93 (BitTorrentSync web has 1.3.94 for download).

As I've understood it there should be an Update button on installed plugins when new version available. Also that version on Install plugins page is separate from where the Update get's it's info. Someone has to update the repository or something for the Update button to be available if I've understood it correctly.

Problem is that the 1.3.80 version has a bug where it opens files but never closes them which leads to FreeBSD stopping it when it hits 20k open files. That gives you a permission error but it's really the 20k open files bug. I've been waiting for an Update button to appear so I can get a newer version installed & continue my syncing.

So can someone please update the BitTorrentSync plugin to 1.3.94 (it's been pushed out to my Windows clients which the other versions wasn't so hopefully it's tested & stable) & enable the Update button so I can update to 1.3.94 & not have 20k open files, pretty please?

warri

Guru
According to this bug report there should be version 1.3.93 available for FreeNAS: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4908

You are encountering another bug, where the update button for BTSync is not shown, see here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4590
You'll have to upgrade to the newest nightly 9.2.2-ALPHA version to get that fix though. Or you remove the plugin and reinstall the new version.

Zensig

Dabbler
According to this bug report there should be version 1.3.93 available for FreeNAS: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4908

You are encountering another bug, where the update button for BTSync is not shown, see here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4590
You'll have to upgrade to the newest nightly 9.2.2-ALPHA version to get that fix though. Or you remove the plugin and reinstall the new version.

Crap more bugs! I can't go behind FreeNAS back & copy/unpack the btsync_freebsd_x64.tar.gz (1.3.94) file from BitTorrent site? Or will that totally screw FreeNAS/BTSync up? I really don't want to install a Alpha version (I've had enough with bugs in the "stable" versions) & don't want to redo the setup of BTSync (leaving crap behind messing up sync).

If it's possible to just overwrite the old version of BTSync (in Windows it's just an exe file) with newer manually please give me instructions on how to do this (I sold my soul to Bill a loooong time ago so this Linux stuff is not my cup of tea).

Zensig

Dabbler
An idea, since it's the "name change" from btsync to BTSync on the plugin that's causing the problem with the Update button is it possible to have 2 versions in the repository, one btsync & one BTSync? That way us poor souls with pre 9.2.2 FreeNAS can upgrade until there is a stable 9.2.2 release that fixes this problem? So it would only be for a limited timeframe.

Feel free to point all the flaws in the above idea or if not forward it to someone who can make it happen.

diedrichg

Wizard
The question could be rephrased; Would someone write a tutorial to install AND update BTSync in a standard jail, please?

Zensig

Dabbler
Just checked, BTSync still 1.3.93 under Install Plugins not 1.3.94 which is the version Windows clients auto updated to.

If I've understood this correctly anyone who's installed BTSync before "name change" (btsync to BTSync) will either have to run an alpha version of FreeNAS OR redo all the work with BTSync by uninstalling, clearing crap, reinstalling (not even latest version), redo config & rehash all the files (I got 10TB of files...). Because of a btsync to BTSync name change! Am I the only one who thinks that is slightly moronic?! There has to be a better way. rename it back to btsync until FreeNAS 9.2.2 is out in a stable version! NOW!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just checked, BTSync still 1.3.93 under Install Plugins not 1.3.94 which is the version Windows clients auto updated to.

If I've understood this correctly anyone who's installed BTSync before "name change" (btsync to BTSync) will either have to run an alpha version of FreeNAS OR redo all the work with BTSync by uninstalling, clearing crap, reinstalling (not even latest version), redo config & rehash all the files (I got 10TB of files...). Because of a btsync to BTSync name change! Am I the only one who thinks that is slightly moronic?! There has to be a better way. rename it back to btsync until FreeNAS 9.2.2 is out in a stable version! NOW!
I don't see the usual download links for 1.3.94. also no pinned thread with changes. your free to modify the source and compile the pbi yourself, my source is on github.

you could just stop the service and backup+restore the btsync data directory. it's either /usr/pbi/btsync-amd64/etc/btsync or /var/db/btsync.

Zensig

Dabbler
So far no one has pointed out a flaw in the "let's just rename BTSync back to btsync & everyone will have an Update button, when FreeNAS 9.2.2 is released as stable we can rename btsync to BTSync, everyone wins!". Please someone tell me it's not that simple?

1.3.94 for FreeBSD (correct version as FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD?) is availabe from http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/downloads
Having the same version on all machines is preferable since Windows clients have auto updated to 1.3.94. That version seems semi stable since there hasn't been an update in a week. Before that there was a new version every day.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So far no one has pointed out a flaw in the "let's just rename BTSync back to btsync & everyone will have an Update button, when FreeNAS 9.2.2 is released as stable we can rename btsync to BTSync, everyone wins!". Please someone tell me it's not that simple?

1.3.94 for FreeBSD (correct version as FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD?) is availabe from http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/downloads
Having the same version on all machines is preferable since Windows clients have auto updated to 1.3.94. That version seems semi stable since there hasn't been an update in a week. Before that there was a new version every day.
I renamed it to make plugins look like more presentable in the menus. I did this to all the plugins I maintain in the plugins menu. If we changed it back there would then be issues for people who got the version with the Uppercases. I'm not going to request they change it back, but you are free to try and convince them if you think it'll fix everything. Why can't you fresh install? If not you can backup/restore the datadirectory like I mentioned to a fresh install.

That 1.3.94 link won't be picked up with my compiler script. They finally announced the 1.3.94 version today with a proper link structure http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/29779-latest-desktop-build-1394/. I'll recompile and add the update to the repo when I get a chance.

Zensig

Dabbler
I uninstalled the BTSync 1.3.80 I had & am now waiting for the 1.3.94 to come through. Thanks for the updated version!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I uninstalled the BTSync 1.3.80 I had & am now waiting for the 1.3.94 to come through. Thanks for the updated version!
NP, hope updates are smooth from now on.

diedrichg

Wizard
Since there is not an update button for the BTSync plugin, here is how you can do it manually and you won't lose settings:
(This is the very procedure I performed on my FN v9.2.1.5-Release with BTSync v1.3.87 and I did not lose my settings.)*
*Warning: Nothing is guaranteed. This update may lose your settings. Always backup first!
  1. Go to http://www.freenas.org/downloads/plugins/9/ and choose your architecture
  2. Right-click the latest BTSync pbi and save it to your computer
  3. In Freenas, stop the Btsync plugin
  4. Click the btsync_1 jail so that it is selected (labeled with that name on my machine)
  5. Click the brown box at the bottom of the gui to upload a pbi
  6. Upload your updated pbi
  7. Stop the btsync_1 jail
  8. Start the btsync_1 jail
  9. Start the Btsync plugin
  10. Update your Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, mobile clients
  11. Refresh your BTSync gui to make sure it did in fact update.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Since there is not an update button for the BTSync plugin, here is how you can do it manually and you won't lose settings:
(This is the very procedure I performed on my FN v9.2.1.5-Release with BTSync v1.3.87 and I did not lose my settings.)*
*Warning: Nothing is guaranteed. This update may lose your settings. Always backup first!
  1. Go to http://www.freenas.org/downloads/plugins/9/ and choose your architecture
  2. Right-click the latest BTSync pbi and save it to your computer
  3. In Freenas, stop the Btsync plugin
  4. Click the btsync_1 jail so that it is selected (labeled with that name on my machine)
  5. Click the brown box at the bottom of the gui to upload a pbi
  6. Upload your updated pbi
  7. Stop the btsync_1 jail
  8. Start the btsync_1 jail
  9. Start the Btsync plugin
  10. Update your Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, mobile clients
  11. Refresh your BTSync gui to make sure it did in fact update.
if people are coming from an older build this will need a few steps added because I moved the datadirectory path to /var/db/btsync

Zensig

Dabbler
Thanks for the info but I've already uninstalled the 1.3.80 version. Seems to have removed all traces of BTSync, datastores created gone etc. I'm waiting for the 1.3.94 version to show up under Plugins/Install but it's taking it's sweet time. Am I correct that once I've installed 1.3.94 I will then be able to use the Update button to update BTSync to newer versions? If not I might cry a little...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I don't know. the update process isn't documented so I don't know how to make sure the update button always shows up.

emk2203

Guru
if people are coming from an older build this will need a few steps added because I moved the datadirectory path to /var/db/btsync

A quick summary would be nice - just knowing where the datadirectory path pointed to before and where to change it would be good.

diedrichg

Wizard

TrueOsiris

Cadet
A tutorial to upgrade the btsync plugin to the very latest version, as requested.
I should probably script this.
  1. install the plugin/pbi now present in the pluginlist of Freenas 9.2+
  2. stop the plugin in freenas, but not the jail.
  3. ssh to the jail (propably called btsync_1). To enable this:
    1. you can enable ssh via the jail's shell: vi /etc/rc.conf and set sshd_enable="YES"
    2. you can enable root login : vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config and set PermitRootLogin yes
    3. passwd root and set some pw
  4. wget http://download-new.utorrent.com/endpoint/btsync/os/FreeBSD-x64/track/stable
  5. tar -xvf stable
  6. mv btsync /usr/pbi/btsync-amd64/bin/btsync
  7. start the plugin again in the freenas menu
You should probably disable ssh and/or root login again, if you're a security freak.
This just upgraded me to btsync 1.4.83 Beta

Some info on this plugin version (so this might differ in the future):
service : /usr/pbi/btsync-amd64/etc/rc.d/btsync
command : /usr/pbi/btsync-amd64/bin/btsync
config file : /usr/pbi/btsync-amd64/etc/btsync.conf

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If you install the latest version from the repo you can just install updates in the FreeNAS plugins menu. I usually get the updates posted within a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.