Bringing HD offline and back online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddro

Explorer
I have a 4 drive z2 pool. There is one drive in there that is making a lot of noise but I am unable to clearly tell which HDD is the culprit. Is there a way to bring a HDD offline, for me to assess whether the noise continues, and then bring it back online? I have seen some threads but there wasn't very clear instructions. Also, my drives are encrypted in case that adds a wrinkle into a potential process.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Stux

MVP
Isn’t offline/online in the GUI these days?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Isn’t offline/online in the GUI these days?
Offline always has been, but I think online is a more recent addition--but yes, it's there now too.

Stux

MVP
Offline always has been, but I think online is a more recent addition--but yes, it's there now too.

Thought I saw it go through the bug tracker...

I may have even requested it ;)

Muddro

Explorer
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?zpool(8)
zpool offline and zpool online should fit your need. You'll need to resilver the stuff that the offlined disk missed while it was offline. Or rather, let it resilver.

Is there a way to let it resilver just the stuff it missed? Last time I tried this (I have been swamped so finally getting back to this), I needed to resilver the whole drive. These are encrypted drives so when I bring them back online, not sure how to get it back into the pool.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Normally, that's exactly what it will do--resilver the stuff it missed. But I'm not sure how (if at all) encryption changes things.

Muddro

Explorer
Normally, that's exactly what it will do--resilver the stuff it missed. But I'm not sure how (if at all) encryption changes things.
Yeah like I just had it happened. basically want to take one drive out at a time because one is making some very loud noises and cannot ascertain which it is:

1. Took drive offline
2. Powered off
3. removed drive
4. rebooted machine, unocked encryption.
5. Still hear noises.
6. shutdown, put drive back in
7. unencrypt.
8. Says pool is degraded
9. zpool online
10. Says online but unavailable

Goal is to just resilver what was missed and get it online properly. There shouldnt be much data. Dont want to resilver for each time for 8TB drives. It will take a week.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The resilver process will always try to use what's on the disk. I must admit ignorance of what metadata is used for this determination, but disk encryption doesn't change things, because it's transparent.

Just online the disk and things should proceed as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.