Booting Stuck At ipmi:0 using KSC interface

Gem

Cadet
Hi, I am new to this NAS thing as whole, and I need some help.
After installation, entering TrueNAS simply gets stuck at "ipmi0: using KSC interface"

I have seen various threads about this similar issue but none of them worked, such as trying to enter using single user mode to delete the ipmi files because doing that will also get me stuck which means I can't even delete them. There is also no option in the BIOS to turn off IPMI or NIC or anything, but I did try turning off DASH and that did not work.

I am repurposing an Acer Veriton M4630G for this NAS project, it has an i5-4590 with 8GB of DDR3, a 240GB SATA SSD, but no hard drives yet as I want to do a trial run.

Any help appreciated.

Gareth Welch

Cadet
I have this exact same issue with ASUS' X570-ACE board. That board has a 1G Intel NIC and 2.5G Realtek NIC built in. The Realtek NIC has some limited remote management functionality, but no IPMI; so I assume in my case the hang is caused by IPMI hardware being identified where there isn't any. (I could be wrong.)
So far, my solution has been to disable the Realtek NIC in BIOS entirely, but I'd really like to use both if possible.
I've tried ipmi_load=NO in tunables and kldunload ipmi (post init) in init/shutdown scripts, but have had success with neither. That's not to say they've had no effect: enabling any combination of these does yield a different output during boot, but all have hung one way or another. I can recreate and post those outputs here if someone thinks they might be useful.

gmcdo

Cadet
@Gem I have the exact same motherboard and was wrestling with this issue for the last several days.

I was able to install and successfully run TrueNAS by disabling the Onboard LAN Controller in the BIOS. I used a USB to Ethernet adapter to get things setup.

But I want to use the motherboard's Ethernet. What eventually worked was going through this thread: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/boot-hang-ipmi-system-interface.69103/

The set of command that user does is what allowed me to boot, and get an IP with the Onboard LAN Controller enabled. Hope it helps you!

fohdeesha

Dabbler
For anyone else stuck on this, when this post doesn't work - https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/boot-hang-ipmi-system-interface.69103/#post-475032 (booting in single user mode still tries to load the ipmi kernel module, and therefore freezes), the solution was: during boot, choose "3 - escape to loader prompt", you should be at an "OK" loader prompt. you need to append the ipmi modules to the existing module_blacklist variable, then boot into single user mode by running:

Code:
set module_blacklist='drm drm2 radeonkms i915kms amdgpu ipmi ipmi_linux'
boot -s

then it will succesfully boot all the way into single user mode, choose the default shell when asked then you can actually run the following:

Code:
su -
mount -u -w /
cd /boot/kernel
rm ipmi.ko
rm ipmi_linux.ko
exit

Once succesfully booted, in the web UI I also added a tunable with a type of "LOADER", variable of "ipmi_load" and a value of "NO", as the default /boot/loader.conf is populated with ipmi_load="YES". This didn't seem necessary, but did it just in case. Note future truenas updates could repopulate the .ko modules you deleted and you could get stuck on boot again. A real fix upstream would be nice but it seems like a problem only affecting two or three motherboards out there

1672302725120.png