Blocky / Garbled text in Truenas installer after Grub

KegsBenedict

Cadet
Hi all,

I recently was given a QNAP TS-453A and wanted to install TrueNAS on it.

I can boot in to the TrueNAS installer, and all looks well up until after selecting "Start TrueNAS SCALE Installation" in the GRUB menu.
After that, the installer appears to continue as expected, but with all screen output in blocky garbled and unreadable characters.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Images below.
Cheers!
1682944290833.png

1682944311414.png

KegsBenedict

Cadet
I'll add additional context and troubleshooting to this comment.

• Both `videoinfo` and `vbeinfo` at the grub commandline cause the screen to turn momentarily blank, return to the grub commandline, but allow no further action. Pressing ESC at this screen causes the command line to exit, but hangs at a blank screen rather than returning to the grub menu
  • Editing the boot settings to add `gfxmode=1920x1080x24` or `gfxmode=1920x1080x32` results in the same blocky text as seen in the photos
  • Setting `gfxmode=640x480` results in the same.

KegsBenedict

Cadet
I don't appear to be able to edit my existing posts, so going to reply instead.

For anyone in future who comes across this, I didn't work out how to get the installer to display sensibly on my QNAP.
What I ended up doing was mounting a USB drive in to a VM on my computer, and installing Truenas in the VM on to the mounted USB drive.
Once I plugged this in to my QNAP NAS, it booted up successfully, and the console once TrueNAS booted was all perfectly readable.

I'm not sure the exact cause of the janked out text in the installer, but I'd guess it's to do with the load_video routine or the load_font methods in the grub.cfg
Once TrueNAS is running, it's OK.

marcnesium

Cadet
I have exact same problem with TS-251+. Screen looks the same.

And i can confirm that @kegsbeneduct solution (installation via VM onto usb drive) works also for me.
(For people with TS-251+: yes, this box can handle 16GB RAM).

mynewalias

Cadet
I have exact same problem with TS-251+. Screen looks the same.

And i can confirm that @kegsbeneduct solution (installation via VM onto usb drive) works also for me.
(For people with TS-251+: yes, this box can handle 16GB RAM).
When loaded onto a USB via VM, is there a way to install it on to SATA SSD? I'm having the same issue. Optiplex 7010

marcnesium

Cadet
What about a usb-sata-adaptor? Perhaps taken from an portable ssd drive. Nothing I have laying around all the time. But that should work.

mynewalias

Cadet
When loaded onto a USB via VM, is there a way to install it on to SATA SSD? I'm having the same issue. Optiplex 7010
I figured out the issue on mine in case someone else has the same problem.

Use F12 and run it with the UEFI option.

When I was originally doing it I used F2 and changed the boot order and was running it in BIOS.