bhyve pci passthru Truenas of a drive?

EtienneB

Explorer
Hello,
I am wondering if is possible with the Virtual Machines under Truenas 12 using hte PCI Passthru option to pass through a dedicated hard disk to my Virtual Machine?
I have seen the wiki of bhyve passthru with vmm_load etc. and under Freenas it didn't seem possible I read in these forums.

I believe I can passthrough a full disk controller. But if I understand correctly, then the whole controller is unusable by the host system, right? So breaking my pool?

I have 8 drives connected to my SAS controller and would like to passthrough 2 harddrives and perhaps even 2 SSDs (so 4 out of these 8 ports).
That is from a controller on my Supermicro X10SL7-F board.
I also have an IBM 1015/LSI SAS-controller with another 8 drives which are all part of my pool, together with the other 4 SAS ports of the motherboard above.

A zvol option is suboptimal for me as I have to set the size fixed while I would like to use the whole drive and causes overhead too.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
As the name PCI passthrough suggests you can only pass through PCI(e) devices. So, entire controllers/HBAs, network adapters, NVME disk devices (which come with their own controller, each) - but not a single disk on a PCIe HBA.

Last edited:

EtienneB

Explorer
Thank, just as I figured/feared ;-)
I got a 4 port SATA 3Gbps controller on that board too, but not really preferable for a SSD....