Best way to mount storage for Network Video Recorder

seb101

Contributor
Hi,

I'm about to migrate my Network Video Recorder (for my security system) over from a dedicated hardware to a VM on my FreeNAS. The software is up and running on a Debian VM. I have a dedicated Zpool in the NAS for the recordings.

I understand that I cannot mount a zpool directly into the VM and need to use NFS or similar, however, I have a quesiton on the connectivity of that.

My security system runs on a seperate VLAN (VLAN 300), and I have a dedicated NIC in my FreeNAS attached to that VLAN, which is the adaptor that is attached to the NVR VM. The FreeNAS itself uses a different NIC on my general VLAN 100. I want to avoid, if at all possible, creating a 'bridge' between these two networks. Is there any way the NFS share can be mounted using a local port/socket and avoid having to route traffic between these two VLANs?

Thanks.

seb101

Contributor
I suppose one way to do this would be to just put the zvol for the NVR VM on the recordings ZPool and size it the same size as the host disk.

This feels wrong though, is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

Last edited:

seb101

Contributor
I went with creating a zVol the full size of the recordings zPool and attaching it as a secondary disk device directly in the VM, then formatting and mounting it in the VM OS.

The only real downside to this is that I can't dynamically manage the size of the recording pool now, or use that pool for any other purposes. However, this was never my intention, so it's working as I wanted.