Best way of backup TimeMachine dataset

Big_Blue

Cadet
Hi,
i have two truenasCore environments. One for daily usage and one for backup. I created a replication task to copy most of the datasets to my backup environment and it is working very well and very fast. And on this datasets a snapshot of multiple days i just want to have. So replication of the snapshots is a perfect solution for it.

Now i want also copy my TimeMachine dataset, but i do not want to create a snapshot, because it is already a backup. I only want to have the latest version of this dataset on the backup environment.

I first created a replication task with the snapshot liefetime of 1 day. It was running fine, but then i realized to copy all the data of the TM dataset to the backup server on a daily basis and this is not what i want.

Now i created a rsync task, but the performance of copy files by ssh is very slow. Currently the rsync job is running with around "46.81 MiB/s". Both systems are connected by 10GBit ethernet connection.

Are there some other, faster solutions for it?
I am searching for a fast solution to copy a dataset to a backup environment without having multiple snapshots of the data.

kristyfolks

Cadet
Hi,
i have two truenasCore environments. One for daily usage and one for backup. I created a replication task to copy most of the datasets to my backup environment and it is working very well and very fast. And on this datasets a snapshot of multiple days i just want to have. So replication of the snapshots is a perfect solution for it.

Now i want also copy my TimeMachine dataset, but i do not want to create a snapshot, because it is already a backup. I only want to have the latest version of this dataset on the backup environment.

I first created a replication task with the snapshot liefetime of 1 day. It was running fine, but then i realized to copy all the data of the TM dataset to the backup server on a daily basis and this is not what i want.

Now i created a rsync task, but the performance of copy files by ssh is very slow. Currently the rsync job is running with around "46.81 MiB/s". Both systems are connected by 10GBit ethernet connection. geometry dash scratch
Are there some other, faster solutions for it?
I am searching for a fast solution to copy a dataset to a backup environment without having multiple snapshots of the data.
Hello, I think instead of using snapshots for replication, you can create a new replication task specifically for your TimeMachine dataset using the TrueNAS Replication feature. This feature is optimized for efficient data transfer between TrueNAS systems and may provide better performance compared to rsync over SSH. You can set up the replication task to only copy the latest version of the dataset without creating snapshots.