Local Replication

afmiller

Contributor
Hello,
I am starting on getting the replication set up. I have 2 pools. My Main and Backup. I was successfully able to back up the datasets via replication, but seem to have an issue where it wants to constantly recopy the entire dataset and not just what changed. I am trying to copy my photo dataset from Main to Backup, I added a folder called test2 to see if it would copy. I've attached the error below and my settings for the replication. I know the full copy everytime works, but that seems to make the snapshots useless if it was suppose to be changes.

The end goal is I want to do the snapshots daily and replicate the changes daily. Was doing the tests but just changing the timing every few min to try and get it to work.

Thanks

snapshot 2 is of the actual snapshot that was successfully completed

Attachments

• replicate 1.PNG
    replicate 1.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 183
  • replicate 2.PNG
    replicate 2.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 178
  • replicate 3.PNG
    replicate 3.PNG
    24.8 KB · Views: 176
  • replicate error.PNG
    replicate error.PNG
    39.7 KB · Views: 184
  • snapshot 1.PNG
    snapshot 1.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 165
  • snapshot 2.PNG
    snapshot 2.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 179

irTwit

Dabbler
In reference to "replicate 1.png". Have you tried adding the destination pool/dataset to the replication task. At least for my replication tasks that works (see attached).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 187

afmiller

Contributor
In reference to "replicate 1.png". Have you tried adding the destination pool/dataset to the replication task. At least for my replication tasks that works (see attached).

Ill give that a try. I was trying to back up mutliple datasets under the backup pool. Will create different ones for each thing I want to back up. WIl let you know how it goes

Apollo

Wizard
Hello,
I am starting on getting the replication set up. I have 2 pools. My Main and Backup. I was successfully able to back up the datasets via replication, but seem to have an issue where it wants to constantly recopy the entire dataset and not just what changed. I am trying to copy my photo dataset from Main to Backup, I added a folder called test2 to see if it would copy. I've attached the error below and my settings for the replication. I know the full copy everytime works, but that seems to make the snapshots useless if it was suppose to be changes.

The end goal is I want to do the snapshots daily and replicate the changes daily. Was doing the tests but just changing the timing every few min to try and get it to work.

Thanks

snapshot 2 is of the actual snapshot that was successfully completed
You need to understand snapshots and replication.
You don't replicate in an attempt to copy everything over again.
Replication, if automated should only replicate when a snapshot has been created on the source and is expected to be incremental unless you force it to start from scratch.

Snapshot and replication have nothing similar to rsync or file copy.
So if snapshot on the backup is present and same as the source, then you are fine.

In your screen shot, it seem you are trying to replicated "Main/photos" to "Backup", but "photos" is already under Backup.
I thik what you need to do is target "Main/photos" to "Backup/Photos" instead.

The replication task complains because "backup" is not the dataset that was matched with Photos, yet you have a folder or dataset underneath. As a resultu it is failing becasue the dataset isn't empty. It would have worked if you were using the "start from scratch" option but you would most likely loose everything already there under "Backup".