Best Use for SSD pool

GrimmReaperNL

Explorer
Hi everybody,

What would be the best use (and to an extent size) of a (small) pool with SSD drives? I've already read it's not useful for slog and l2arc.
I've read putting the plex (meta)data on it would make it more responsive.

Any thing else that would benefit from being on an SSD in a storage/media server?

Thank you.

Move your System Dataset and logs to it.

Make it a dedicated pool for Apps (or jails).

Create a dataset on it (and SMB share) to dump temporary things that you don't want cluttering or lingering on your main pool.

GrimmReaperNL

Explorer
Move your System Dataset and logs to it.
Looking at my settings, my system dataset is currently in the boot-pool, which is on an SSD.
If logs are also stored in the boot-pool by default (I don't know, do they?). Would moving to a separate SSD change anything?
(I've added my build to my signature)
Make it a dedicated pool for Apps (or jails).
This I can get look into.
Create a dataset on it (and SMB share) to dump temporary things that you don't want cluttering or lingering on your main pool.
I'm currently downloading to the main hdd-pool. I guess I could download to an SSD pool, but wouldn't that burn through their life faster?
I don't think I really mind any performance hit I might get reading/writing from the hdd-pool. Though, I guess that could change where I to have multiple people use plex at the same time, at the same time as a big download is going on or something.

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at my settings, my system dataset is currently in the boot-pool, which is on an SSD.
I always thought that after you create your first "data" pool, TrueNAS automatically moves the System Dataset to it.

If you're happy keeping it on the boot-pool (as well as the logs), and they are good quality SSDs, no need to move anything.

I'm currently downloading to the main hdd-pool. I guess I could download to an SSD pool, but wouldn't that burn through their life faster?
A temporary dump dataset can be whatever you want it to be. It doesn't have to be where you first download things to. Maybe it's reserved for one-time downloads? Unimportant files? Large downloads that you're unsure if you want to keep them? A place to hold on to certain files that maybe you are thinking of deleting, but not quite sure yet (such as videos to be edited)? A place to keep files that are unimportant, but easily accessible? And so on. A "dump and move on with life" sort of dataset/share. No need to organize folders or libraries. Just dump and go.