Best Practice for moving datasets and iscsi zvol to new pool

mrchartcove

Cadet
I have an encrypted pool with a number of mirror vdevs and added a new encrypted pool with 10x4T raidz2.
Let's call them STALE and FRESH. Both are on the same TrueNAS-12.0-U7 system.
The objective was to build FRESH and migrate all the datasets and zvols (iscsi) from STALE.

I have been using the following to create a copy of the dataset/zvol:
zfs snap -r STALE/mydataset@migrate_me
zfs send -v -R STALE/mydataset@migrate_me | zfs recv -v -d -x encryption FRESH

The transfer rate was painfully slow taking an enormous time. 2TB iscsi zvol took over 19 hours (~30MB/s)
I have an 8TB iscsi left to go. A week seems a ridiculously long time for 8TB copy.

Is there not a better more sanctioned "move"-like function in TrueNAS?

What kind of disks? 30MB/s second smells like more SMR type speeds.

This might not be related to replication at all. SMR disk writing start fast but degrade badly over time.

mrchartcove

Cadet
All Red 4TB CMR drives.
The slow speed was using the command line.
For actual regular operation, I was able to get sever hundred MB/s throughput (writes when restoring data to the new pool from multiply sources simultaneously).
Maybe it was the decrypt/encrypt process and validation as the transfer was from one encrypted pool to another? Maybe using the shell interface and pipes?
It was faster to just restore the data using an offsite copy than to copy from one pool to another.

Still think it would be useful to have a "move" dataset/zvol function sanctioned within the Truenas GUI.