'badblocks' not running on SSD in disk burnin shell script

naskit

Dabbler
I ran the burnin shell script on all disks - 8x HDD and 5x SSD.
Everything ran and completed successfully on the HDDs, but the badblocks commands failed to run on the SSDs.

Is this by design?
Is it not recommended to run badblocks on SSDs to stop wear, or for some other reason?

I want to know if I should rerun the burnin script on the SSDs and troubleshoot why badblocks is not run, or whether I can just ignore it (short and long SMART tests completed on all SSDs) and just configure the pools and start using them all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this by design?
Not really, badblocks is fairly crude in some ways. Though, as you've already thought of:
Is it not recommended to run badblocks on SSDs to stop wear, or for some other reason?
Although even HDDs somewhat abstract their internals away when presenting LBAs to the host, SSDs just completely throw any semblance of a static mapping out the window, between SLC caches, load balancing and wear leveling, page management, ...
I just don't think badblocks is useful with SSDs in the same way it kinda is with HDDs.

As for alternatives, it's a tricky one. I tend to favor a reliable pool, good backups, and spares on hand, plus the real workload. It's not great, admittedly.