Backup system dataset

Papid1975

Dabbler
I know I can download the TrueNAS config to restore my system. This doesn’t include the whole system though (logs are missing for example).

Is there a way to also backup the system dataset (ideally automatically, for example with a replication task)? I tried to set up a replication task with mypool/.system as the source, but the dataset couldn’t be found, so it seems to be special in some way.

Last edited:

Redcoat

MVP
the dataset is at /var/db/system - that location has the logs in it.

The config file is automatically backed up every day.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess if the desire is to directly back up the datasets (zfs list | grep .system), then you could do that with a cron task and zettarepl.

Papid1975

Dabbler
the dataset is at /var/db/system - that location has the logs in it.

The config file is automatically backed up every day.

Thanks. I’d like to replicate/send the dataset itself (rather than the mounted dataset) to take advantage of blockwise data transfer. If I can’t find a way, I will use rsync to backup /var/db/system.

I guess if the desire is to directly back up the datasets (zfs list | grep .system), then you could do that with a cron task and zettarepl.

Yes! Sorry, I am still quite new to FreeBSD and TrueNAS. Did I get this right? This zettarepl is similar to the build-in replication of TrueNAS yet more powerful so it can also replicate the special dataset mypool/.system. When using “Tasks > Replication Tasks” and specifying mypool/.system the UI gives me the error message [EINVAL] periodic_snapshot_create.dataset: ZFS dataset or zvol not found (even though it is listed by zfs list | grep .system). Using any other dataset this way works as intended.

zfs list | grep .system strangely tells me there are .system datasets on almost all my pools (all different) o_O …is it supposed to be like that? It seems TrueNAS created a new system dataset with every pool I added.

sretalla