Backup Dataset to USB HDD (local)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
I am using 2 external 3tb usb drives so i can have 2 external backups. Practically i am backing up the same thing to two different drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What are you using/doing to back up to those drives? Have you had to restore from either of them?

TheSmoker

Patron
Zfs snapshots & zfs replication. I have restored on another freebsd 9.2 test machine without issues.
Later edit: my zpool version in not updated since 8.x. I am still on v28.

l@e

Contributor
Well, smartctl -a -d sat /dev/sdd (run from smartmontools for Windows) did work for my Kingston Hyper X(basically an Intel SSD in an external Kingston labeled box).

But it didn't work for my WD "something" 1TB. Not sure what it is since the sticker letters are rubbed off and I got no results from the smartctl.

Cyberjock, I agree that USB is not professional tool, but I'm in the same situation about the needs of one ext drive. unfortunately I can not have an offsite syncing box because of the sensitive data, or I need to spend double for securing and peer to peer leased line, even keeping it cool and 24/7 powered. so the only way to me to do backups is locally. im expecting these days a SM X9SAE, 16GB ECC, E3-1230 and I still have plenty of WD RE4 1TB HDD in stock. I'm going to retire my Dell 1600SC that is working from many years. till now I did do incremental backups during working days to Tape library and in the week end a full backup, and put tapes every next day to a fire resistant box in the office. mainly are docs in word, excel and pdf so is not an oversized storage. 3 depts. with approx. 25-30 GB each with a rising expectation of 1 GB/Year. So what I'm thinking is to make a RAIDZ2 or maybe a stripe of mirrored RAIDZ to have a 2TB array protected by 2 failures. but I will test for that to get the best in performance. so returning to the point of backups what do you think is better (not proff.) a USB3 or e-sata ext HDD to do at least a weakly full backup? is possible functioning of the "tar" so I make a zipped copy of the datasets and possibly put the file name date and time? also since I don't have it up an running yet, is possible to auto mount a ext. HDD at the same pos i.e:/mnt/"ext..." and may be in NTFS FS?
well it went quite long story, I was writing and thinking possible options too. cheers to you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd do esata. USB still has the nasty problem where a single disk error results in the drive going into error recovery mode which usually means that the host machine drops its from inactive communications. At least with esata it won't disconnect.

Thund3rDuck

Explorer
Zfs snapshots & zfs replication. I have restored on another freebsd 9.2 test machine without issues.
Later edit: my zpool version in not updated since 8.x. I am still on v28.

I am thinking of doing this. I haven't done much with my NAS since I haven't had it backed up and do not feel like incurring the wrath of my wife due to missing data. What are the steps to backing up and restoring the way you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.