Back again with an updated plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

athos56

Dabbler
T last time I came with an idea for a new build. It would have been purchased over a couple of months but someone mentioned Ebay and cheaper and as former Ebay deal junkie, here I am. I decided that I would go for a small Supermicro 1u x8dtu-f based server from MrRackables. I also ordered the M1015 card, a couple of Cruz 16gb USB sticks and a set of cables for under $300. With x4 2tb drive for under $300 I should be under half the cost of my new build. I did error in buying the M1015 rather than the one port card for half the price. I tried to stick to the recommended gear and I reached out to a forum member who had the x8dtu-f mobo and he was happy about his decision and I've learned to trust community wisdom so hopefully things will come together. Plans: Raidz2 seems to be what people are suggesting, sounds good to me, 4tb storage is twice what I have now. Used processors for the X8 boards are not that pricey so I'll likely pick up a pair of beefy processors and a pair of L processors and see what I like. I also want to hack the case and see how quiet I can get it. I don't know, drill vents mount 120/140mm fans, water cooling, giant passive radiators, at this price if I screw it up I'll buy another. Good times. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Sounds like it will work. The only thing you could have done differently is find an X8dt6 board as it has the sas controller built into the board. You will be fine with a pair of e5600 series cpu's. The L's are ok but when everything is ramped up and running the L's will use as much if not more power than the E's. The X series cpu's are just overkill especially with a pair and the run a lot hotter. I have some L5630's in a x8dt6 that has bad video/IPMI and use it as a router.

I used a pair of cooler master hyper 212 evo's for my 5640's had to go to the hardware store and get a longer screw so that I was able to use the Supermicro mounts as they are with the coolers but they are rock solid and stay very cool. Honestly overkill but if I am running them hard and one is dumping into the other I would rather there be a ton of wiggle room than to cook something.

athos56

Dabbler
A pair of E5649s go for $80ish not bad. Those coolers are what I'm talking about, I'll have to do some serious hacking, but my wife is an artist so I'll do something industrial with it so it can live in the front room. ;)

They are easy to do, I have a couple pictures mounted on my system. Will find them and post them in a few.

Found them....
20151006_153817.jpg

20151006_153824.jpg

I picked up a machine screw that matched the threads a couple washers to hold the spring in place on the head of the screw and a nut to put tension on the bottom of the springs. I got the springs from the hyper 212evo brackets. I then used a nylon thread locknut to set the length of the screw and act as a stop. Have used the coolers for over a year and the board is mounted so they are horizontal not standing vertically.

Hope this helps you out.

I have the X8dt6-f, aim them both towards the back of the case and they will fit fine.

20160228_004907.jpg

The heat sink isnt getting any pressure from the bar though right?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Nope about a half inch between the cooler and the bar. It just supports the case sides and keeps them from flexing.

Thanks for replies and the pictures, they help a lot when I'm trying to visualize my build.
No problem. The only reason why I ended up with the case I have is I was going to have surgery on my shoulder and was not able to waste time building a case out of wood for it to live in. I had actually figured out how to make some rails so the drives would stack vertically along the front with at least a one inch gap between for airflow. The server components plus a gigabit switch and the battery backup were all going to be housed inside. The idea was complete enclosure with two cords, one power and one ethernet into a box. Would have used rubber grommets as isolators so each drive would create very little vibration and what little was created would be absorbed by the wood.

I may still do something like this at some point but for now it is happy living in the 4U rosewill I was able to pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.