Autostart Debian jail looks like FreeBSD until restarted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zon

Cadet
I've got a FreeNAS-9.2.1.6-RELEASE-x64 server running 5 jails. The hardware is a quad-core 3.9Ghz AMD A8-6600K with 16GB:
  1. Transmission plugin
  2. Plex plugin
  3. Crashplan plugin
  4. FreeBSD jail (just runs a web server)
  5. Debian jail (runs Squeezebox)
I can't run the FreeNAS Squeezebox plugin since one of the Squeezebox plugins I need to run (3rd party Spotify) will not run under FreeBSD, but does run under Debian.

Everything works swimmingly. The only issue occurs when the entire FreeNAS system is rebooted. All the jails are marked as autostart. Everything comes up fine after the FreeNAS server is rebooted, except the Debian jail. It starts all right, but I noticed the Squeezebox server wasn't running. I also noticed messages in the FreeNAS log about an SMB duplicate master browser referencing the Squeezebox Debian jail IP address.

I figured something was wrong with the Squeezebox server starting properly so I SSH'ed into the Debian jail. The oddness increased when the SSH login greeting referenced being a FreeBSD system, not a Debian system. Further exploration revealed that the "Debian" jail IP address was actually a duplicate of the primary FreeNAS FreeBSD system (thus the duplicate SMB message).

Manually restarting the Debian jail fixes everything. SSH now reports it as a Debian system when you log in, and the Squeezebox server starts properly. Fortunately this system rarely needs to be rebooted entirely, so this is not a critical problem but it is weird.

Any idea what would cause this? Any idea how to fix it other than just restarting the Debian jail manually every time the entire FreeNAS server is restarted?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure how to fix your problems, but linux jails have been a major problem with FreeNAS. They are actually removed in 9.3, so you may want to determine how to deal with the fact they are being removed. My advice would be to consider the virtualbox jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.