Auto recovery for messed up snapshot Replication .

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the coolest things about FreeNAS, zfs snaphost replication, is also one the most problematic features for people. I know because I messed up my replication before and have had to dig though a several posts to fix it with out loosing all my snapshots.

The problem seems to be when snapshots stop working for one reason or another such as a disruption of snapshot replication , the assistance of temporary clones, etc users often face the possibility of have to start from scratch and reinitialize their replication. There is no easy way, for the average person to fix replication.

I have seen several methods to avoid this such as delete the correct snapshots until replication works, using rsync to sync snapshots between push and pull FreeNAS boxes etc.

Solution: FreeNAS should detect that replication has failed then it should automatically begin fixing replication it should all be behind the scenes until it is faced with a fix that involves have to
reinitialize the zfs snapshot replication task.

Here is the feature request if anyone would like to track it Feature #3188 Auto recovery for messed up snapshot Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.