Auto-Import Failed; Imported with CLI successfully; GUI does not show pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealjason

Cadet
I've recently installed FreeNAS 8.3 on a USB stick. Prior to 8.3, the hardware was running 8.2, then OpenIndiana + Napp-IT for a while. The ZFS pool has remained since initially created with 8.2, and is ZFS v15. After the first boot, I tried the auto-import, and it spun for a couple of hours without doing anything. I then tried to mount through the CLI. It told me it could not create the mount points. I tried again with the -f option, and it told me it was already imported. I rebooted, did a 'mount -rw /', 'zpool import -f vol1', and it seemed to mount. I thought I was in business, but the GUI does not show the pool. I can navigate the pool from the CLI, and all of my files and structure is there. Can anyone give me some information on how to get the pool that I imported into the GUI, to manage shares, etc?

Short version:

1) Auto-Import of existing v15 ZFS pool failed
2) CLI - 'zpool import -f vol1' failed to create mount points
3) CLI - 'mount -rw /'
4) CLI - 'zpool import -f vol1', volume now mounted and navigable through CLI
5) GUI - Does not see or acknowledge pool

Thanks in advance. I am away from my equipment for about 8 hours until I get home from work, so I will collect any requested information from the system at that time.

-trj

Yell

Explorer
TL;TR probably:

Code:
# zpool export vol1
--> Gui > Auto import

therealjason

Cadet
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Do I need to 'mount -rw/' first? I'm not sure there is much difference in Auto Importing now vs when I tried to do it initially.

therealjason

Cadet
That worked, although I did a mount -rw / prior to the auto import. I assume that it is not normal to have to do that. Am I special case, or did it have to do with it being managed to OpenIndiana prior, or?

Yell

Explorer
you can only import something if you export it first.

its the same everywhere, ex:
you CAN'T receive a letter if nobody send (exported) one ;)

(mount -rw / was not needed was export/import dont write to a readyonly space)

nubi007

Cadet
Hi All,

i´m new here and have the same problem.
I needed to reinstall freenas (11, U2) but was only able to import one of the pools via the GUI wizard. (4x 1TB @ Raid-z1, 5x 2TB @ Raid-z2)
The other pool was not shown in the wizard.
Via CLI the other pool is visible and i could import him.
However it´s still not present in the GUI.
So i exported the pool via CLI and tried importing again via GUI - same story.
The pool is accessible and all files are present.
I already did a fresh reinstall of freenas - everytime no pool is auto-imported.
Is it possible to trigger the database to perform a new inventory?

Thanks in advance!

Jan

gpsguy

Jan, you should have stated a new thread versus necroing a 5 year old one.

In any event, is the pool that won't import healthy? What does zpool status say after you import the pool from the command line?

Currently, FreeNAS doesn't allow you to import a degraded pool using the webGUI.

Last edited:

nubi007

Cadet
Thanks for the answer gpsguy!
Currently a resilvering is running. :(
I researched further in the meantime. The pool that i imported via GUI uses the standard freenas mountpoint.
The pool that is currently degraded is mounted under root.
Is it also needed to change the mountpoint to standard after resilvering finished?

Sorry regarding the thread - i thought it would best fit here... will remember and next time open a new one.

gpsguy

Please wait until the resilvering is complete. Check zpool status again.

If it's healthy, export the pool from the command line and you should now be able to import it via the webGUI.

Currently a resilvering is running.

There's a "bug" ticket, regarding this issue (inability to import a degraded pool). It's supposed to be fixed in the near future.

nubi007

Cadet
Resilvering finished. Import via GUI was successful and the mountpoint is now also under /mnt.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.