Auto Import does not work with ZFS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SpicyWeiner

I did a fresh install with 8.0.1 because I had a new main HDD, I couldn't upgrade.

I can see the volume in the auto import list but when I try to add it, I get this:

Code:
Error: [MiddlewareError: The volume "volume1" failed to import, for futher details check pool status]

Where do I check the pool status? What's that?

Please help, I have really important files on that volume.

Thank you!

ProtoSD

MVP
Before you do anything else, upgrade to 8.02, then if you still have problems post back.

njxc500

Dabbler
Solved

Yes, that's exactly what I did, but that still didn't work, produced an error trying to auto import.....although at least 8.0.2 shows an error, which lead to a solution. I followed the directions below, from the terminal screen and with a bit of time and research, I'm back up and running. One note, the pool name needed to be all caps in my case or it wouldn't work. Good luck.

In this thread:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=3697

Is this information...

If you don't know the name of your old pool run the following command to find all pool's available:

Code: Select all
zpool import -f

Once you know the name of the pool import the pool.

zpool import -f [pool name]

Make sure that the pool is mounted

mount | grep zfs

If the pool is mounted you can proceed and recreate the pool on WebGUI.

njxc500

Dabbler
Almost forgot, I still had to auto import after this process, but successfully.

Stenull

Dabbler
I got same behaviour in 8.0.3 when changing to newer motherboard.
Have 4 disk setup in raidz1. New mb is Asus E35M1-I.
I first did export from gui, saved config, changed mb.
Installed freenas on new hardware and did an auto import and got same
Code:
Error: [MiddlewareError: The volume "volume1" failed to import, for futher details check pool status]

My pool named Tank1 showed up in gui but empty (cold sweat). in cli pool didn't show up at all.
Day after i found this thread and tried zpool import -f Tank1 and it imported with failed mountpoints.
Then did export of pool from cli, created /mnt/Tank1 manually and auto import from gui.
Now it shows up in gui tree and everything seems OK (Feels much better now :)

SCRUBBING TIME DUDE!! :D

Thanks njxc500 for inspiration!

evansch

Cadet
At a loss

Hi everybody,

I'm a noob to FreeNas but i'm pretty comfortable navigating unix/linux systems. A few months ago I had .7.2 up and running on an old machine I had kicking around - I have 2 2TB drives in a zfs raid mirror setup. Well, that machine got zapped by a power spike (I know, shoulda/woulda/coulda) so I got to purchase a new toy. The new mobo doesnt have an IDE HD slot so I decided to upgrade to FreeNas .8.3 and put it on a USB stick instead, saving the sata slots, etc...all went well till I tried adding my zfs share back into the mix. The auto-import shows the mirror name (HomeShare[geom]) however I get the msg "The Selected disks were not verified for this import rules". Okay, so I followed the previous posts steps on the command line however, the mirror does not seem to exist ???
I checked /var/log/messages and found the following:
Feb 11 13:47:20 freenas kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device mirror/HomeShare launched (2/2).
Feb 11 13:47:20 freenas kernel: GEOM: da4s1: geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s).
Feb 11 13:47:20 freenas kernel: GEOM: mirror/HomeShare: the secondary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
Feb 11 13:47:20 freenas kernel: GEOM: mirror/HomeShare: using the primary only -- recovery suggested.

So now i'm at the point where I dont know what else to try - I think my data is still there and safe however I dont know how to get my data back - and yes, unfortunately I dont have a backup of anything.

Oh, and previously I was running 32 bit while now i'm running 64 bit FreeNas, if that makes any diff...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
@evansch

FreeNAS 8.0.x is not really compatible to import those UFS volumes from 0.7.x.
Yes, mirror/HomeShareis UFS, not ZFS.

However, you can give it a shot with nightly 8.2... Still I'm not sure whether this will work or not, if it doesn't please fill a ticket in support.freenas.org

Thanks

evansch

Cadet
Thank You!

@evansch

FreeNAS 8.0.x is not really compatible to import those UFS volumes from 0.7.x.
Yes, mirror/HomeShareis UFS, not ZFS.

However, you can give it a shot with nightly 8.2... Still I'm not sure whether this will work or not, if it doesn't please fill a ticket in support.freenas.org

Thanks

Thanks so much, William, for your reply. I did exactly what you suggested and the auto import looks like it worked! I can see my files now! You Rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.