Attach to multiple iSCSI extents from Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

copeland3300

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to attach to two different extents on Windows 7. Essentially I have 1 that will have Steam games installed on it, and the other will be for my VMs.

I can't seem to get the built in iSCSI initiator for Windows to mount the two different extents I've created. I tried also creating an alias'd IP and setting a portal on each, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
It would be good if you describe your problems in more details. There is no reason for two extents to not work with windows 7.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Windows connects fine to as many extents as you allow. What exactly is the issue you are having?

You have 2 separate extents published from your FreeNAS box, right?

copeland3300

Dabbler
Sure, I'll elaborate.

As I said, I have two extents I set up on FreeNAS. I want to mount each as a separate disk on Windows. Here is the setup this morning:

I have one portal bound to my nas ip x.x.x.3
I set my initiator to ALL and ALL
I left authorized accesses alone
I set one target for steam and one for VMs, each set to portal group 1 and initiator group 1
I have two extents, each as files on my raidz2 zfs volume
I have an associated target for each and left the LUN set to auto.

As of now, Windows seems to only pick up one of the extents, specifically the first one I defined.

In any case, I suppose I could make this a lot easier and say the following:
HOW do I present two separate extents so that they appear as two separate disks in windows?

Thanks for any help. I do appreciate it.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
You may either assign two extents to the same target as different LUNs, and then they will be seen together through the same iSCSI connection, sharing access control, etc..

Or you may create separate target for each extent, and then you should make initiator to connect separately to each of them. When you are doing dynamic discovery in Windows GUI it should list you two separate targets, and you should press Connect button for each of them.

copeland3300

Dabbler
Hey sorry I haven't responded, thanks for the information. I'll give it a try when I have a few minutes in the next couple of days.

Frankly, after messing around with things for a little while, I might just try to run everything through a SMB share, since I really don't need block level access.

Status
Not open for further replies.