Atheros AR8151 not working in 9.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Wu

Cadet
I am new to FREENAS and trying to build my first FREENAS box recently.
I did several test with my PC using 9.1.0 on a USB stick and 3x80G SATA HDDs, everything seems fine.
Finally I decided to build the box by adding 2x2T and 2x3T HDDs, and found version 9.1.1 released.

So I installed 9.1.1 on the same USB stick, installation is successful but after power-up, it cannot find the network interface. To be sure, I re-installed 9.1.0 again, the system works all fine.

I am using ASUS H61M U3S3 MB with Atheros AR8151 NIC. This box is for home use and I really don't want to add additional network card.

Can anybody help on this?

gpsguy

Most Atheros NIC's are a POS. Even if it was supported, you probably wouldn't be happy with it.

Spend $25 USD on an Intel Pro/1000 CT. It's supported and will run rings around the Atheros.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I agree with gpsguy, but still, the point is valid. Why should it not work in 9.1.1? Still counts as a bug barring another explanation.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My guess is that the driver was updated in 9.1.1 and the newer driver doesn't work with his hardware for some reason. To be honest, it's not really something I would spend time in since the solution costs $20. If it cost $2000 I'd probably spend time on it.

Craig Wu

Cadet
Several days before I boot the box and found the Atheros AR8151 is working and get IP address correctly. However, after re-boot, it won't work anymore.
Anyway I ordered a Intel 82574L PCI-E card and get it day before.
Tested and everything is working fine. Read/Write speed is stable at 80~90 MBytes/second. Considering the long CAT5 cable in the wall installed 10 years ago, I am happy with the result.

BTW, I saw another thread that RealTek 8168/8111 is not working in FREENAS9, looks like the driver in the new FREENAS release has some modification/issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.