Assing services per interface and install EiskalDC++ as jail or native

Status
Not open for further replies.

diedura

Dabbler
Hello,

I Just build a Freenas Box, and I've a couple of doubts. I be very happy if I can get some light in the matter with your help, guys.

The first one, currently, I'm on a lanparty (Euskal Encounter) and I've two networks, one public (85.*.*.*) and another private (192.168.1.*).

I have several services turned on in the box, but I want some services to beto shown only in one interface.

The second doubt, is the feasibility of install a DC++ client like eiskaldc on the NAS, there is a jail, but my doubt is if it's not better to install on the primary installation, (currently on USB stick). And some help with the procedure.

Thanks a lot!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm assuming 85.*.*.* is an internet address. Putting a FreeNAS server directly on the internet is just asking to be owned by someone. FreeNAS has basic security, but shouldn't EVER be directly accessible through the internet. If you do want access from the internet you should setup a VPN service to connect to your internal network.

Installing to the USB stick is practically a non-starter. FreeNAS is basically an embedded OS. It has 10MB or so of free space and that space is used for logs. If you take up that space you'll have nothing pain and misery as many people have learned. That's why the jail was created.

If you want to download the source and compile your own version of FreeNAS with bigger partitions so you can do what you want, you are welcome to. But its not trivial to do(especially for someone that has never compiled FreeNAS before) so I wouldn't expect a step-by-step guide.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.