Assign Unallocated Space to Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzYGuY

Cadet
Hi everyone,
Ive only just delved into the world of Freenas, and i love what i see so far.
Ive only set it up as a single drive in a spare box to test, before i lash out and spend money on multiple drives.

I had initially, a 2 TB drive in as a data drive holding my pool. I run Freenas off a USB stick.

I cloned the 2TB to a 3TB to increase the storage space.

It all cloned perfectly, but i now have 974Gigs unnallocated, and dont know how to go about adding the free space to the pool, as to allow access to the full 3TB.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

OzzY.

Edit: Oops ive posted in wrong section. Please move to Storage?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I cloned the 2TB to a 3TB
Well, don't do that.

It all cloned perfectly, but i now have 974Gigs unnallocated, and dont know how to go about adding the free space to the pool, as to allow access to the full 3TB.
You don't. ZFS doesn't take kindly to disks that change their sizes. You have to replace disks if you want to grow a pool.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

OzzYGuY

Cadet
Thanks for the replies.
Well im only new to Freenas, and just tinkering to learn. Hence my big mistake in cloning lol.;
I have thought about purchasing 5 maybe 6 4tb drives in the hope i may have a mirrored 12 tb nas.
Still have a lot of reading to do yet before i ultimately decide.
It will be a new box...board..cpu etc....as the pc i have setup in now is a slimline HP Prodesk 400 G1. No room for extra drives.

I will have a read of the link depasseg has given me.

So im kinda thinking that i will have to put the 2 TB back in....and work out how to add the 3TB to replace the 2tb that will have to be taken out.

Its a learning curve.

Going to install FreeBSD on my main PC on its own drive....always wanted to run it....been on linux for quite a few years.

Its gonna be a fun ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.