As requested by the welcome mail, my introduction :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huib

Explorer
Hello everyone.

standard disclaimer regarding English != native etc. etc.
There is actually no question in this post. Just an introduction on how I intend to use freenas since this is suggested in the registration mail :)

I'm a director of a small engineering company that's not happy with our current backup solution (actually the backup is fine.. the restoring part is the problem)
Yes... I know... freenas on it's own is not a backup. but it seems like the replication function could be great with an offsite second freenas installation and it surely allows for fast fixes of user errors (deleted folders etc). Doing this from tape or external drives is killing me.

I actually registered because I wanted to be able to do my homework and some guides can not be downloaded without registration.
From what I've read until now probably everyone will kill me after this sentence, but I've been testing on a virtual machine until now. However this got me to play with a lot of functions like snapshots, restoring from snapshots, removing a virtual drive and see freenas restore after pulling a disk and adding an empty virtual disk etc.

Generally I'm sold already. That's why I registered. It's time for the hardware guide so we can do this the proper way. I do have to start playing with active directory integration since unfortunately I need this for proprietary software to work properly.

I will try not to bother you with questions too much. Until now I managed to figure out everything that I need on my own.
I hope it will stay that way ;)

see you in the trenches!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forum!

And no, you won't be chastised for testing FreeNAS in a virtual machine; that's a great way to familiarize yourself with it.

Huib

Explorer
Thank you!

And great to hear I won't be chastised. I will have to look that up, but it sounds painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.