Are my setup specifications good?

McNinjaTNT

Dabbler
Case: (Fractal Define R5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2Z11QE?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 $110
PSU: (EVGA Supernova 750w G+) https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNO...1&keywords=gold+psu+750&qid=1628733340&sr=8-3 $100
Mobo: (Supermicro X8DTI-F Rev 1.02) https://www.ebay.com/itm/303448535894?epid=80259014&hash=item46a6f13356:g:waMAAOSwOGBc2esZ $60
Ram: (Reg ECC DDR3 1333 4x16) https://www.ebay.com/itm/154485676842?hash=item23f8105b2a:g:z~MAAOSwn5dguH8h&LH_BIN=1 $140
CPU: (Xeon X5690 ) https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338448594...j6566a3EGnE7sNsCQ%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524 $70
UPS: (900w/1500VA UPS) https://www.ebay.com/itm/224568362508?hash=item344951460c:g:XnsAAOSwKExhE-8~ $100
Drives: Seagate Exos of some sort
NO slog drive, or possibly a junker 500GB nvme ssd with addon PCIE card

Any recommendations? Planning to run RAIDZ1. If there's anything I'm missing (besides cpu cooler) please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Also is it okay to mix SAS and sata drives? Since the mobo I listed has two sas ports as well as sata I would think it's okay.

ThreeDee

Guru
In regards to the PSU .. you might want to consider an 80+ Titanium as they are efficient when at idle as well as more efficient when under load.

one article on the matter

ChrisRJ

Wizard
The only thing is that those CPUs are really power-hungry and relative to that I find the one you listed pretty expensive.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
And I would caution against the R5, assuming it uses the same HDD trays/sleds as the R6, which I have. These sleds look nice and make replacing drives relatively easy. But in my case, where I cannot have empty slots between them, they are a nightmare in terms of cooling. I am actually looking for a new case now (just bought the R6 in October 2020), because right now I have to use fans that are basically louder than the ones in my 1U Supermicro cases.

McNinjaTNT

Dabbler
In regards to the PSU .. you might want to consider an 80+ Titanium as they are efficient when at idle as well as more efficient when under load.

one article on the matter
I'm aware of the efficiency ratings, however I read in multiple places that gold is fine for a home server, yes I could save power with a better efficiency but then I pay more upfront, I think I'm satisfied with gold, thanks for the input though :)

And I would caution against the R5, assuming it uses the same HDD trays/sleds as the R6, which I have. These sleds look nice and make replacing drives relatively easy. But in my case, where I cannot have empty slots between them, they are a nightmare in terms of cooling. I am actually looking for a new case now (just bought the R6 in October 2020), because right now I have to use fans that are basically louder than the ones in my 1U Supermicro cases.
In response to your CPU message: I looked a bit more for the socket and you're right. I did find a lot of them to have the same 130w TDP, but I found this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194284241255?epid=109625040&hash=item2d3c3e4167:g:0KAAAOSwB-FhFUPm at a slightly lower clock speed with 35w less tdp, as well as $30 or so cheaper, I think I'll go with that, thanks!
As far as the case goes, I was hoping to use a fractal define because it looks pretty sleek and the easy drive bays are nice. However since what you mentioned is the case, I'll see if I can find another, though I may still just end up going for the R7 (Because it supports E-ATX as opposed to the R5 which I found out does not). Thanks again! Your help is much appreciated.

McNinjaTNT

Dabbler
Also, I looked at the motherboard, and it only supports 3.0GB/s sata ports/controller, and exos drives are 6 or 12 gb/s, Will it still get the full power of the exos drives? Also still wondering a bit about mixing sas/sata with this board.

McNinjaTNT

Dabbler
Also, I looked at the motherboard, and it only supports 3.0GB/s sata ports/controller, and exos drives are 6 or 12 gb/s, Will it still get the full power of the exos drives? Also still wondering a bit about mixing sas/sata with this board.
Nevermind about the speed. I found that the exos drives SDR (Sustained Data Rate) is below 300 MB/s

ChrisRJ

Wizard
With my second Exos 16 TB drive in the RMA process right now after less than 7000 hours of operation, I would recommend to go for something like RAIDZ2 and/or have at least one tested (i.e. burned-in) spare drive at hand. The first RMA went smooth, but it still took about a week until the replacement arrived. Also, if possible, buy from separate sources to not end up with drives all from the same batch.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
In response to your CPU message: I looked a bit more for the socket and you're right. I did find a lot of them to have the same 130w TDP, but I found this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194284241255?epid=109625040&hash=item2d3c3e4167:g:0KAAAOSwB-FhFUPm at a slightly lower clock speed with 35w less tdp, as well as $30 or so cheaper, I think I'll go with that, thanks!
That price looks indeed much better. But what I had meant to convey was that by going for an X9 board and an E5 Xeon, you would end up with something considerably more power-efficient. On the other hand, just a few days ago, someone wrote that an X10 board was cheaper to get than an X9 one. So prices are in flux and differ between countries. Here in Germany I had been able to buy X9SRi-F boards in October 2020 for slightly above 100 Euros, but that seems difficult right now.

McNinjaTNT

Dabbler
With my second Exos 16 TB drive in the RMA process right now after less than 7000 hours of operation, I would recommend to go for something like RAIDZ2 and/or have at least one tested (i.e. burned-in) spare drive at hand. The first RMA went smooth, but it still took about a week until the replacement arrived. Also, if possible, buy from separate sources to not end up with drives all from the same batch.
Thanks for the advice, though I'm trying to keep my budget somewhat low right now, in the future I may do RAIDZ2, but for now I think I'll do RAIDZ1. Yeah, I'm trying to buy from different sources. I may just end up doing RAIDZ2 to start though, since others also seem to be very much for RAIDZ2.
|
That price looks indeed much better. But what I had meant to convey was that by going for an X9 board and an E5 Xeon, you would end up with something considerably more power-efficient. On the other hand, just a few days ago, someone wrote that an X10 board was cheaper to get than an X9 one. So prices are in flux and differ between countries. Here in Germany I had been able to buy X9SRi-F boards in October 2020 for slightly above 100 Euros, but that seems difficult right now.
Ah gotcha, well I was sorting by price and trying to get a good deal as opposed to efficiency, too late now anyways though, I've ordered most of the parts now. I may try and implement a system to safely turn off the server at night, which would help for the power bill. Thanks again for all the help!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I may try and implement a system to safely turn off the server at night, which would help for the power bill.
That is the worst thing you can do to your Exos drives. They are data center disks and not made for constant turning off/non or spin-down. This goes so far that about a year ago I saw a note on Synology's HCL that those drives were supported only if left spinning 24x7.

McNinjaTNT

Dabbler
That is the worst thing you can do to your Exos drives. They are data center disks and not made for constant turning off/non or spin-down. This goes so far that about a year ago I saw a note on Synology's HCL that those drives were supported only if left spinning 24x7.
Wow, interesting, I had no idea, that's very good to know haha. Won't be doing that then, thanks for the info.