Anyone get OAuth mail alerts working?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I can successfully authenticate to Gmail, and send test mails. However, real alerts don't send, and when I try to send another test mail, I get broken pipe, and have to reauthenticate to Gmail.

I've reverted back to Gmail SMTP app passwords for now.

Richard Durso

Explorer
I just did that today without issue. While poking around on a fresh TrueNAS install I got an email "New Alerts" that "syslog_ng is not running". Rebooted and got an email that the alert has cleared.

I just changed from the app password to OAuth now and it worked for me.

Samuel Tai

Ah, but did any of you actually delete your app password afterwards? That's when it fails for me.

Richard Durso

Explorer
I did not set an app password at all. I only did OAuth config.

Update: It looks like despite sending two test messages my nightly reports did not come through this morning. I'll take another look when I get home from work (TrueNAS is my home system) and see if there are any messages on the failure.

Okay, I'm home. I validated that my username/password has been replaced by the Google OAuth login. I can manually send the test emails. Will update tomorrow morning if my alerts (e.g., rsync jobs completed) work tonight.

Samuel Tai

My OAuth credentials seem to time out after 12 hours, and no longer work after that. I'm definitely not getting alerts after they time out.

I didn't get the emails today. Let's see if it sends tonight....

It was working and then stopped a couple of days after the U2 update. @Samuel Tai - I added to the Jira bug ticket.