Another slow network thread - I promise I read a bunch - none solved my issue :(

nothing

Explorer
  • Motherboard make and model -> GIGABYTE B650I AORUS ULTRA AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX Motherboard
  • CPU make and model -> AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
  • RAM quantity -> 32GB DDR5 (Corsair)
  • Raid 5 -> Western Digital Ultrastar DC HC550 WUH721816ALE6L4 0F38462 16TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 512MB 3.5" SE Manufacturer Recertified HDD × 4 (3 active only, forth inactive spare)
  • Physical layer = cat 6e shielded from end to end.
  • Switch supports 1gbit ethernet
  • Zero containers, apps, etc, just set it up and started uploading.
  • TrueNAS scale
  • SMB share (windows 10 machine, 5950x/64GB DDR4)
I tried to use iperf3 but WSL tcp doesnt support it as a client.

Given everything should allow 1000mbps , why is it only ~100mbps?

Copying from a mechanical drive connected via usb3 on my windows 10 machine to the truenas server via an SMB mount.

Please help.

Attachments

• truenas_nic.PNG
    truenas_nic.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 101
  • throughput.PNG
    throughput.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 100
  • windows_nic.PNG
    windows_nic.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 95

nothing

Explorer
Darn, I posted in the wrong forum - admin - please move it :(

I dont see an option to move it myself

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Moved the thread as requested.

The first point in the NIC chart is that you're trying to compare Mbps (megabits per second) to MiB/s (MebiBytes per second)... different by around a factor of 8 (factor of 8 to MegaBytes). (https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=mebibyte+in+megabyte&ia=answer)

On a gigabit connection (1000Mbits), you can expect an absolute maximum of 125MB/s (megabytes per second... pretty close to what you see).

Other than your confusion about units of measure, I see no issue here.

Last edited:

nothing

Explorer
Moved the thread as requested.

The first point in the NIC chart is that you're trying to compare Mbps (megabits per second) to MiB/s (MebiBytes per second)... different by around a factor of 8 (factor of 8 to MegaBytes). (https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=mebibyte+in+megabyte&ia=answer)

On a gigabit connection (1000Mbits), you can expect an absolute maximum of 125MB/s (megabytes per second... pretty close to what you see).

Other than your confusion about units of measure, I see no issue here.
How embarrassing :D

So if I upgrade my switch to 10Gbits ill be able to achieve 1,250MB/s, presuming all the other equipment on the physical layer supports it (10gbit nics, cables, etc) ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
How embarrassing :D

So if I upgrade my switch to 10Gbits ill be able to achieve 1,250MB/s, presuming all the other equipment on the physical layer supports it (10gbit nics, cables, etc) ?

No. If you follow the guidance in the 10 Gig Networking Primer (see Resources), you should be able to get much higher speeds. You do not get good speeds just by picking random gear though. You especially need well-supported ethernet cards and other appropriate gear. It's not hard to do -- if you follow the guidance.

nothing

Explorer
No. If you follow the guidance in the 10 Gig Networking Primer (see Resources), you should be able to get much higher speeds. You do not get good speeds just by picking random gear though. You especially need well-supported ethernet cards and other appropriate gear. It's not hard to do -- if you follow the guidance.
Thanks I'll have a read of the 10gbit guide.